Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Vanilla Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

          The weather has been incredible here!! blue sky,tons of sun and temps are in the 70's!! My container garden veggies are growing like crazy and I will be posting pics soon of what I'm growing :)

Easter is just around the corner and I decided to send in cupcakes for my husbands weekly work meeting. I went ahead and made simple cookie cupcake toppers in the shapes of eggs and flowers to go along with it :)

I don't usually bake up vanilla cupcakes because I have yet to find a recipe that I am in love with. I am on the look out for a moist cupcake that doesn't taste eggy or has a dense texture. Alot of the recipes call for 5 eggs and for some reason all I taste are the eggs. I went with this recipe because it only called for egg whites. The cupcake was more sponge-like,almost crossing over into the muffin category. The eggy flavor wasn't there but it wasn't as moist as I would have liked it either. I really liked the delicate cream cheese frosting that went with it. I no longer like the overly sweet cream cheese frostings that we Americans are so good at making :) This one had a more subtle flavor and wasn't at all sweet..but had a nice fresh dairy flavor to it. You can also top these cupcakes with fresh sliced fruit such as strawberries,blueberries and raspberries.

Vanilla Cupcakes

5 Egg Whites
1/2 cup plus 2 TBS Butter,softened
1 cup Sugar,divided
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2-1/4 cups Cake Flour
2-1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup Milk

Cream Cheese Frosting

4 ounces Cream Cheese,softened
1/3 cup Butter, softened
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 tp. Lemon Juice
Fresh sliced fruit,optional

Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.  Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cupcake tin with liners and set aside.

Combine flour,baking powder and salt in a bowl; set aside. In another mixing bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk.

Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into cake batter; fold in remaining whites.

With a spoon, gently fill cupcake liners two-thrids full. Bake for 18-22minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to sit in pan for a few minutes before removing and allowing to completely cool on a wire rack.

Yields: 22 Cupcakes

For icing, in a small bowl, beat softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and lemon juice. Spread over cupcakes. Top with berries or cupcake toppers. Store in covered container in the refridgerator.

** Since I never keep cake flour on hand I looked up and substitute along time ago. For every one cup of flour,place 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in the bottom of a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill to the top with white flour. I didn't bother adding cornstarch in when I measured the 1/4 cup with flour.**

** To make your own cookie cupcake toppers, I used my lemon sugar cookie recipe, cut out small eggs and flower shapes,placed in the freezer for a few minutes to allow it to firm up and then gently slid in toothpicks through the dough. Place on cookie sheet and bake**

Source: Taste of Home