Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mushroom Burgers

         Are you a fan of veggie burgers? some people like them and others can't stand them. I have tried alot of varities from the store and noticed that although they were labeled "healthy" they actually weren't. I grew up eating alot of vegetarian dishes and loved them. Although my family and I are forever meat eaters, I am working on serving up more meatless entrees.

I made these mushroom burgers the other day and my two boys couldn't stop talking about how much they loved them. I have to agree with them because I loved it too and plan on making them again this weekend. My husband the hardcore carnivore said he really liked them but still prefered a burger over these(sigh). You can play around with the ingredients aswell..maybe add in some diced garlic, bell peppers, black beans maybe? These are a cheap to make,taste great and come together quickly.

Mushroom Burgers

2 cups Finely Chopped Fresh Mushrooms
2 Eggs,lightly beaten
1/2 cup dry Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onion..I used Dried Onions
1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Dried Thyme
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 TBS Vegetable Oil
4 Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

In a large bowl, combine the first 9 ingredients together; mix until completely combined. You might think the mixture is to dry but keep mixing it, it will come together. Shape into 4 patties.

In a large skillet add the oil and cook the patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crisp and lightly browned. Serve on buns with your favorite toppings and condiments.

Source: Taste of Home