Monday, April 4, 2011

Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches

        It feels so good to be heading into some warmer weather! Dutch winters can really drag on sometimes and you wonder if you are ever going to see sun again. I was never the type of person who got down when winter hit. Growing up in Oregon you had your fair share of grey dull days that were filled with nonstop rain..but it never got to me until I moved here. I was always a Fall/Winter fan and now I can't drop kick those seasons fast enough. I need sun and warmth! 

To celebrate the beautiful weather we had on saturday I whipped up these delicious sandwiches! I've said it before but I am seriously blessed with a family that will try anything. They may not like it but they will atleast give it a try. I've got one son who loves everything to be spicey and hot and another son who is more of a plain eater and a husband that eats every single thing that I put infront of him. I could burn the food and he would still eat it while telling me it still had some good points. I'm lucky I tell you:)

The curried chicken salad was a big hit. We loved all the different textures and flavors in the sandwich. I wasn't to sure about the dried cranberries but that along with the walnuts turned out to be my favorite part. The curry lends a nice subtle flavor and the longer you allow the flavors to mingle the better the taste is.

Curried Chicken Salad Sandwiches

2 cups cubed Cooked Chicken
3/4 cup Chopped Apples
3/4 cup Dried Cranberries
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/2 cup Chopped Celery
2 tsp. Lemon Juice
1 TBS Chopped Green Onion;optional
1 tsp. Curry Powder
6 lettuce Leaves
6 Croissants,hamburger buns;split

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients expect for the lettuce leave and buns. Stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit in the fridge atleast 1 hour or up to a whole day. When ready to serve, place lettuce leaves on buns and top with salad mixture.

Source: Taste of Home