Friday, April 15, 2011

Baked Zucchini Fries

        In my determination to provide my family with better food choices I have been looking into more ways to use vegetables as the main dish aswell as the side dish. We all love a variety of vegetables, it's just mainly me not really knowing what I can make with all of them. I'm having alot of fun learning though what can be made with zucchini's,eggplants,bell peppers,cucumbers,peas and tomatoes..it's really really good because thats what my husband and I are growing this year for our very large container garden. Our living room is currently taken over by more than 34 veggie plants and I will be planting  my last round at the end of the month. We are setting up our greenhouse and will post pics of that and of our veggies in all of their containers. I have a feeling we are going to be eating alot of fresh salsa this summer!

Baked zucchini fries have been around forever. It's a basic recipe that you can tweak to make your own. Here are the basics

Baked Zucchini Fries

2 Large Egg whites
2-3 medium zucchini or eggplant sliced into skinny wedges or sticks
1/2 cup Bread Crumbs..dried or flavored
Seasonings; italian,garlic powder,onion powder,salt,pepper,experiement with different ones!
Parmesan cheese

Preheat your oven to 425 or 220 celcius. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside. In a small bowl, beat egg whites with a fork until frothy.

In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, seasonings and cheese and mix well. Dip zucchini sticks one at a time into egg whites and then into bread crumb mixture, making sure that all the sides are coated. Place the sticks on the baking sheet and bake for 10 mins, flip and bake for another 10 mins or until golden brown.


Serve these with a marinara sauce or like me, a yogurt dip. I took plain yogurt and added a variety of seasonings to it. Everyone loved it! If you are looking for a main dish to serve this with, we ate Mushroom Burgers with it.