Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Snickerdoodle Muffins

       Wow I've got tons of recipes to post but the weather has been so nice that I've been busy enjoying it! We are due for another wet period so maybe then I can get caught up a bit :)

Snickerdoodle cookies are one of my all time favorites. There is something so simple and old fashioned about them and their taste that we all look forward to when I will bake them again. When I saw recipes popping up all over the web that turned the cookie into a muffin..well I just knew I had to get on bored with this!! If you are a true snickerdoodle fan then you have to give these a try...they seriously taste just like the cookie. 

I used the original recipe but read all the comments and made adujstments according to that. I used cupcake liners in the pan after comments about not being able to get the muffins out or the tops just coming off. The liners worked just fine. I used another version of sour cream and I shouldn't have. It's one of those times where using different ingredients from another country doesn't always work out for me. The sour cream here is differen't than back home. The texture is thicker and I think thats where I ran into trouble. However they still tasted awesome and I hope you give them a try! The recipe states that they make 12-14 muffins..I along with everyone else wondered what size pans she was using because most of us came away with anywhere between 16-24 muffins. I came away with 23! I felt like these were best enjoyed the first or second day of baking them.

Snickerdoodle Muffins

1 cup Butter; Softened
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
3/4 tsp. Freshly grated Nutmeg;optional
1/2 tsp. Salt..my add but these do need some salt
1-1/4 cups Sour Cream
2-1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour

Topping

1 cup Sugar
2 TBSP Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt; whisk and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar with an electrix mixer until soft-about 3-5 minutes. add in vanilla. Add in eggs one at a time and mix well after each one.

Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the butter mixture in additions. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Scrap the sides of the bowl as needed.

In a shallow bowl combine the topping. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop muffin batter one at a time and drop into the shallow bowl filled with the topping.
                                     Roll the muffin around in the mixture until it's completely covered. Place into muffin liners.
             Bake 20-22mins or until golden brown. Cool in pan for a few mins before transfering them to a wire rack. Serve warm.
 Alot of people mentioned that dough was to soft for them to scoop up and roll around. I never had that problem but if I had then I would of placed the dough in the fridge to set a little.

Yields:all depends on how much dough you use.

Source: Culinary Concoctions by Peabody