Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Double Chocolate-Walnut and Pistachio Biscotti

               Do you ever crave foods you have never even tried? Biscotti was one of those for me. I've never had it before and when I heard other people complain about how hard and tasteless it was, well it was never on my must make list. However a few weeks ago I started thinking about it and really wanting to try it. I finally decided to hunt down a recipe and give it a shot. I am sooooo glad I did because I am hooked on biscotti!!!!
      I first made it with walnuts and fell in love with it. It was super crunchy and not at all tasteless! I actually found the more time the biscotti sat in the covered container the better it got. It was crispy and seriously biscotti just loves being dunked into a hot cup of coffee..wich is what I found myself doing over and over again. Lastnight I whipped up the same recipe but used pistachio's instead and loved that version aswell...but I think the walnut one was my favorite. Biscotti is super easy to make..way easier than I ever imagined. You need to bake biscotti twice to get that wonderful crispy texture and I always thought it way more involved than it was. You can play around with the ingredients aswell..the original recipe called for slivered almonds and I think I will have to try that version aswell. I added vanilla extract since I think that chocolate and vanilla is a must when baking. I went ahead and used Dutch processed Cocoa and can't stress enough how good this stuff is. You get a much deeper flavor of cocoa when baking. However using regular is fine aswell.  Thanks to The Kitchen Sink for a fantastic recipe that will be made over and over again. I'm thinking this will be added to my christmas baking list! wrap some of these up in cellophane bags,pop it into a mug with some purchased coffee and you have a great last minute gift!

Double Chocolate-Wanut Biscotti

2 cups Flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
3/4 stick(6 tablespoons) Unsalted Butter,softened
1 cup Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla extract;optional
1 cup Slivered Almonds,chopped Walnuts or Pistachios
3/4 cup Semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate..I used semi sweet

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Butter and flour a large cookie sheet or line with parchment paper;set aside. I went ahead and used parchment paper without any problems.

In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract (if using) and beat until well combined. Stir in flour mixture to form a stiff dough. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
            On prepared baking sheet with floured hands form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool biscotti on baking sheet for 5 mins.
            On a cutting board cut biscotti into 3/4 inch slices. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscottie slices on wire rack. Biscotti keeps in air tight containers 1 week or frozen for 1 month.
                 

Servings: 15 slices per Biscotti log