Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies

              This was my husbands first week back to work after taking two weeks off. I was actually look forward to his return because it ment baking for his meeting again once a week. I was informed that more and more of his co workers have found out about the once a week baking and are now stopping by to see what I have made...one guy came in 2 hours early yesterday to make sure that he was able to get a fair share of everything :) 

I decided to go with a St. Patrick's theme this week by sending in green items. I sent in pistachio biscotti and these pistachio pudding cookies. I'm very happy to say that they both were a HUGE success.

These are so retro cool. Although you can't see it in the photo the cookies are a cool shade of light green and super addictive. The pudding mix makes them very soft,almost cake like. When I took a bite of the cookie I was a little let down because the pistachio flavor wasn't there. However it hits you right at the end and you end up thinking..yep there it is :) You can use any flavor of pudding you like and living over here you quickly realise that they don't sell pistachio pudding. Whenever someone sends me some from home I hold onto it for as long as I can!! It's a flavor that brings me back to my childhood. I can remember eating pistachio bundt cake and even bread made from the pudding mix. I think I'm going to have to ask for more since I only have two boxes left!!

Chocolate Chip Pistachio Cookies

3-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 small package(3.4ounces) Pistachio instant pudding mix
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Unsalted Butter;softened
2 Large Eggs
2 TBL Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup toasted Walnuts or Pecans,coarsely chopped
1 cup Semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and pudding mix; whisk ingredients and set aside.

In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine sugar and butter; cream together until light and fluffy. Scrape down sides as needed to make sure everything gets mixed evenly. Add eggs and beat until thoroughly combined. Stir in milk and vanilla. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon until combined.

You can drop the dough several ways..by rounded tablespoons full or by using an ice cream scoop 2 inches apart if you want a more uniformed sized cookie. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cookies are set and edges are very lightly browned. Remove cookies and allow to cool on a wire rack.

Makes 5 Dozen Cookies