Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Blueberry Crumb Top Muffins

        I made blueberry muffins for the first time! I mentioned recently that I was craving foods thats I've never had before..Biscotti was one of them and now it's blueberry muffins. I can honestly say that I am not a big blueberry fan. If you put a blueberry pie in front of me I would probably cry. I have the same thing with peaches..I don't mind them fresh but the instant you cook/bake with them I can no longer eat them. I'm so weird. I realise this :)
        

Im so glad I took a chance and baked these muffins. I don't know who likes them more..the boys or I. They have eaten them for breakfast everyday with a bowl of yogurt. They are crazy moist and stay that way for days. The crumb topping goes perfect with the muffin and really makes these that much better. The muffins freeze beautifully so put some away to be eaten later on! The recipe comes from The Bites Site. The original recipe called for cranberries. I swapped those for blueberries and used 2 cups instead of 3. For us,the 2 cups was the perfect amount. 

Blueberry Muffins

2-1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 cup Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 Large Egg;lightly beaten
3/4 cup Buttermilk
2/3 cup Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups Frozen Blueberries


Crumb Topping


1/4 cup Butter;Room Temp
1/4 cup Sugar
Pinch Salt
1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
Demerara Sugar,for sprinkling
** I used Vanilla Sugar that they sell in packets here**


preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line a muffin tin with liners and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla;set aside.


In a large bowl,combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently fold the berries into the dry mix and carefully mix to make sure that all the berries are coated in the flour mixture. Then gently pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full.


To make crumb topping, hand mix the butter and sugar in a bowl. Add salt and flour and mix. Keep mixing until the mixture starts to resemble small crumbs the size of rice to small gumballs. Sprinkle the crumbs over the muffins and sprinkle the demerara sugar on top of the crumbs.


Bake in the center of the oven for 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for a few mins before transfering to a wire rack.


Yields: 20-24 muffins.


** You don't have to use a special sugar to sprinkle on top if you don't want. The crumb topping along is just fine**






4 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Yum! Too funny I'm the same way no a fan of blueberries but love the muffins. They are a standard muffin I make really the only one! Love them! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

May said...

I made blueberry muffins in October last year and they were awesome. Could not get around to posting it on my blog, cause they simply disappeared even before I could take a shot!!! ;-)

Cassie said...

I love blueberry muffins, but I've never made them homemade. I couldn't eat blueberries straight (my boys eat them like candy, but they're too tart for me), but I love them in a muffin!

Lisa said...

I have a weakness for muffins.