Friday, March 11, 2011

Baked Paprika Wedges

                 A few days ago a large envelope dropped through my mail slot. When I saw it I got super excited. Inside that large envelope was two cooking magazines with hidden seed packets inside :) A friend from back home is an avid gardener and she and I talk alot about container gardening. She told me she sent along Paula Deen magazines with a bunch of seed packets tucked inside. I was so happy! I can buy seeds here of course but they didn't have everything I wanted so I was so grateful to have someone send me what I needed. 

I of course sat down right away and started looking through all the recipes and making mental notes as to what I wanted to make first. My oldest son has been begging me to teach him some basic cooking skills. I've tried numerous times before to get him into the kitchen but he has the attention span of a fish and will walk off half way through the process. I decided that these wedges were perfect for a first timer and let him go to it. He cut the potatoes himself,measured everything out and mixed it all together. We loved the wedges but decided that it was way way way to salty. I looked up the difference between Kosher and table salt and I guess kosher is slighlty less salty. I of course used table but already thought 2 teaspoons was alot for the recipe. So keep that in mind and season with salt to taste!  The recipe also comes with a dipping sauce,wich we skipped but will include the recipe anyway.

Baked Paprika Wedges

5 small Baking Potatoes,quartered lengthwise
2 TBL Vegetable Oil
2 tsp. Kosher Salt..or to taste
2 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper

Dipping Sauce:
1 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1 TBL Chopped Fresh Dill
1 TBL Chopped Fresh Chives
1 TBL Chopped Fresh Parsley

Preheat oven to 425 or 220 celcius. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine potato, oil, salt, paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper;toss to coat. Arrange potatoes on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until tender.

In a medium bowl, combine, maynonnaise, sour cream, dill, chives, and parsley. Serve fries with sauce.

Serves:4-6
Source: Cooking with Paula Deen