Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Paula Deen's Monster Cookies

             So this week my husband and two sons are home:) I go into a strange time warp when this happens. I sleep in really late and forget what day it is. I love it! My husband reminded me that today was Tuesday..wich ment my usual day to bake something for him to take along with him to work on Wednesday. I guess it's to much to ask to be on vacation aswell when it comes to baking. Lucky for him I love it :)

I saw a post by a friend on Facebook. She included a link to Paula Deen's Monster Cookies and I clicked on it right away. I've seen several blogs where people were going on and on about how great these cookies were and how much they loved them so I knew they were for me. What's great about these is that they use bits and pieces of whatever you may have on hand to throw in. I used chocolate covered raisins and subbed 1/2 cup of the oats for rice krispies. The recipe makes a ton..wich makes these great road trip cookies. I froze a bunch to be eaten next week during a zoo trip :)

It's important that you not over bake these. I pulled mine out of the oven at 9 mins..and even then they looked slightly undone. However when you allow them to sit and firm up they are perfect. The cookies are soft,chewy,peanut-buttery and oh so good.

Monster Cookies..3-4 Dozen

3 Eggs
1-1/4 cups Packed Brown Sugar
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1-1/2 cups Peanut Butter..smooth or chunky
1/2 cup Butter;Softened
1/2 cup M&M's
1/2 cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Raisins;Optional
2 tsp. Baking Soda
4-1/2 cups Quick cooking Oatmeal (Not Instant)

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugars. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the salt, vanilla, peanut butter, butter and baking soda. Beat until smooth. Turn mixer off and using a wooden spoon mix in M&M's, chocolate chips, raisins if using, and oatmeal.

Drop by tablespoons full onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 mins. Do not overbake. Allow to sit for atleast 3 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

** My mixing directions differ slightly from the original recipe. It's never mentioned that you use an electrix mixer. However I wanted to make sure my sugars,eggs,peanut butter and butter were totally blended in. I also added my baking soda to the mixture instead of waiting to sprinkle it in while mixing the various add ins.**