Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mocha Muffins

  
           
                Yesterday I baked 67 muffins..sixty freaking seven muffins. I am officially, without a doubt, totally muffin'd out! I don't want to look at a muffin,bake a muffin or eat a muffin for as long as I live. Well...thats a bit going overboard but I don't want to go near one for atleast a month:P The muffins were sent in for my husbands weekly meeting AND some are on their way to special customers who will hopefully purchase large amounts in the near future. The Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins that I sent in last week was another big hit. They kept saying over and over again how much they loved the fresh lemon flavor.

I made two new muffin recipes. One was for a coffee cake muffin and although the taste was fantastic,the overall appearance made me mad. I worked way to hard to have the muffin come out just ok looking..therefore I gave those muffins as a freebie and won't be baking them again or posting the recipe. It was way to time consuming and I don't want to post a recipe that I don't feel 100% happy with. I'm on the hunt for another coffee cake muffin!

The second were these mocha muffins :) I have a love/hate relationship with chocolate muffins. I love the taste but hate how dry they can be. I've noticed that recipes that contain oil and buttermilk tend to be more moist than with just butter. So I gave them a shot :) I am very pleased with the outcome. They were moist and had a wonderful chocolate flavor. The recipe calls for strong coffee and I must admit that I never tasted it in the baked muffin. I suppose it could be that I just didn't use strong enough coffee..but never the less these were spot on in flavor. This morning I wanted to eat another one to test the dry factor. The first one I ate was warm from the oven and just perfect. The one I ate this morning was slightly dry. I popped it in the microwave for 15 seconds and that made all the difference :) You can add pecan or walnuts to the recipe..I added pecans and it was fantastic!

As with most of my muffin and cupcake recipes, I came away with way more than what the recipe stated. I have a feeling my European muffin/cupcake pan is smaller than my old American one. I'm sure you can freeze these without any problems..just make sure to wrap them up individually with plastic wrap and place into a freezer safe plastic bag.

Mocha Muffins..12 muffins or more depending on the size of your pan 
2 Larg Eggs
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Oil..any flavorless oil will do
1/4 cup Strong Black Coffee or Espresso..room temp
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 cup Flour
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour or regular flour
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder;Sifted
1 cup Light Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Pecans or Walnuts,coarsely chopped
1 cup semi sweet,milk,cappuccino or white chocolate chips.


Position rack in center of the oven and pre heat to 375 or 190 celcius. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners or coat with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.


In a large measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the eggs,buttermilk, oil, coffee and vanilla extract.


In another large bowl combine the flours, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda,ground cinnamon and salt. Stir in chopped nuts and chocolate chips. With a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined..over mixing causes a tough muffin.


Evenly fill the muffin cups with batter. Bake 18-23 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. I would check the muffins at 18 mins. If you overbake muffins they tend to dry out. Transfer pan to wire rack and allow to cool for 5 mins in pan before removing and allowing to cool completely on wire rack. Serve warm with coffee.


Source: Joy of Baking