Friday, February 18, 2011

Faux Rice-A-Roni

            Lookie here..I'm posting a regular recipe..not a baked item! I started feeling guilty that I hadn't posted anything else other than a dessert type recipe. I don't want anyone thinking that I don't feed my family a properly balanced diet : )


I don't know about you, but I seriously lack in the side dish department. I spend alot of time thinking about the main meal that I never stop to think about whats going to go along with it. It usually ends up being either a salad with a potato in some form or rice. I love flavored rice dishes and really miss Rice-A-Roni. I know it's not the most healthiest of side dishes to serve but once and while is ok. I've come across several faux recipes for the box mix but none have been what I wanted. I spotted this recipe over at Cooking During Stolen Moments and bookmarked it right away. She does a ton of from scratch cooking and when living abroad you really rely on those recipes because you can't find the same products in your new country.


This was a fantastic version of the real deal! I was so happy. I've actually started to forget what rice-a-roni tastes like but I don't care anymore because this recipe is wonderful. I think you can do alot with it aswell. You could add some sauteed mushrooms,maybe some shredded cheese,steamed broccoli..the possibilites are endless. Thank you Kate!!


Faux Rice-A-Roni
1/4 lb. Vermicelli,Angel hair or spaghetti pasta
1 cup Rice
3 Chicken Bullion,crushed or 3 tsp. Chicken stock base
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Italian Seasoning
1/4 tsp. Paprika
4 TBL. Butter
2 cups Water


If using angel hair or spaghetti pasta, break it up into small pieces. Combine with rice and set aside. Place the seasonings into a small dish and stir to combine.


Melt butter in large skillet or saucepan. Stir in the rice combination and cook for 5 mins,stirring frequently over medium heat until pasta is lightly browned. Stir in seasoning mixture and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low,cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 mins.


** For my Euro peeps. I went ahead and crushed my bullion cubes and then measured 3 teaspoons from it. I don't know anymore if our cubes are the same as in the U.S. Also my rice cooked super fast and I needed to add in an additional 1 cup of water. So keep an eye on that.**