Monday, January 17, 2011

Super Simple Frittata

        I finally made a frittata this weekend! I've always wanted to make one but for whatever reason I thought they were to hard. Whats so hard about pouring eggs,milk,seasonings, and your choice of toppings into a pan is beyond me but there you go. I think most of my reasons for not trying it was because the directions usually tell you to use an oven safe frying pan. I don't own one of those and although I read you can cover the handle in tin foil, I'm still weary of it.

However thanks to a recipe I snagged from Cookie and Kate I can now make an awesome frittata thanks to the use of a springform pan!. The recipe is basic wich means you can add whatever you like to it. I plan to make this over and over again with tons of different things added. Thanks so much Kate for a wonderful recipe!

Basic Frittata..Serves 6-8 depending on size of the slices 
 6 Eggs
Handful of  Shredded Cheese..I used 1 cup
Splash of Milk..I used a good splash
Vegetables,spices,meats,whatever you like

Place a cookie sheet on the middle rack of the oven and preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. 
       Line the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment paper and then lock it into place. The paper will stick out of the sides wich is fine. It will have a nice seal around it wich stops it from leaking. Grease the paper and the sides generously with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil. 

In a seperate bowl,whisk together the eggs,milk,cheese,vegetables and seasonings. Pour mixture into springform pan. Place on preheated cookiesheet/baking tray and bake for 25 mins. You want it to be golden and puffy with the middle being firm and springy.
      For my frittata I used satueed mushrooms and pieces of diced ham..During the last 5 mins I put another handful of shredded cheese on top. Serve this for breakfast,brunch,or a light dinner. Add in a side of salad and some warm crusty bread and you are set!