Monday, January 31, 2011

Simple Buttermilk Bread

            I think I might have the only kids in the world that actually look forward to important tests at school. Now they actually hate the test taking part..but they love what comes along with that. My boys know that whenever they have tests at school they get an extra special breakfast during that time. I always tell them that they need to worry about the studying part and doing their best and I will make sure I provide them with a great breakfast during that time.

Buttermilk bread is one of the things I usually serve them during that time. It's such a simple easy bread to make and it tastes so good. They love it toasted with butter and a drizzle of honey on top. I usually serve this with fruit,scrambled eggs and milk. I've swapped out the sugar in the recipe for honey,I've tossed in a handful of oats into the batter and I've added in small amounts of sunflower seeds. It's great no matter what you add into it. 

Buttermilk Bread

2 cups of Flour
2 TBL Sugar or Honey
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Buttermilk
1/4 cup Butter,Melted
2 Large Egg Whites

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Coat an 8x4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.

 Combine and whisk buttermilk,melted butter and egg whites in a bowl; set aside.

Combine flour,sugar or honey,baking soda, and salt in a large bowl;make a well in center of mixture. Pour buttermilk mixture into the well of the flour mixture and stir just until moistened.

Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake 40-45 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10mins in pan on a wire rack;remove from pan and allow to cool completely on wire rack. Serve with butter and honey...makes excellent toast the next day :)