Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Oatmeal Coconut Chewies & Why it's important to copy a recipe correctly!

 
          Today I spent the morning baking two different cookies for my husband to take to work tomorrow. I am really enjoying the experience of catering to a small group. So far I've got two cookie orders and last week I received my first birthday cake order! In true Dutch fashion,they ordered it 5 months in advance! Thats ok though..it gives me plenty of time to work on my cake decorating skills. I decided now was the time to introduce the dutchies to the wonderful peanut butter and chocolate combo. I had one bag left of Reeces peanut butter chips and made the chewy chocolate cookies recipe wich can be found Here or on the back of the package. 

The second batch of cookies is the recipe I am sharing with you today. I've had it bookmarked for awhile now and thought now was the time to make these. I was expecting these flat chewy cookies...but instead I got soft airy cake like cookies! I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong. I thought maybe it was because of the coconut I used. The stuff I buy here is more snow flake like and really small..not the usual longer thicker pieces. Then I thought it was because I used old fashioned oats instead of quick cooking oats. The taste was awesome and it didn't matter that I made puff balls but it did bother me. As I sat down to type this I pulled the bookmarked page up and saw instantly what I had done wrong. I left out the sugar! I only added in the brown sugar. I am always really good about copying a recipe but somehow this slipped by me! So always make sure you double and even triple check your recipe before making it!

With that being said..you can totally make these with just brown sugar! they will come out super soft and light. The coconut flavor is just amazing in these and I bet a handful or two of chocolate chips,chopped pecans or butterscotch chips would go perfectly aswell. Thanks to Mel from My Kitchen Cafe for yet another keeper of a recipe!

Oatmeal Coconut Chewies..several dozen

1 cup Sugar
1 cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 cup Butter,Softened
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2-1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Shredded,sweetened Coconut
1 cup Quick Oats

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Either grease or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl,cream together the sugars, eggs, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Drop by tablespoons full onto pan. Bake 9-11 mins, until cookies are set but not overly browned (bake a few mins longer for a crispier cookie)