Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Magically Delicious

       Ok I know that's a cheesy title but these cookie bars rock! Some of you might know them from another name..7 Layer Bars. I've actually only had these one other time in my life and it's probably a good thing...if I made these all the time I would be in some serious trouble. I baked these for my husbands weekly meeting. Last week I sent in peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. It was their first experience with the wonderful combination that Americans love so much. I'm happy to report that they totally understood what there was to love about peanut butter and chocolate : ) they loved it so much that I needed to send in my remaining cookies the next day. I told them to enjoy it because it was my last bag of peanut butter chips and would make them again when I eventually get more.
      Ok so on to these bad boys..I just love how ooey gooey they are. You  can change up the combination aswell. I changed the recipe by adding in a hint of cinnamon and salt into the graham cracker crust..the salt took it up a notch that made it even better. I'm really loving the cinnamon/chocolate combo aswell..it just works so well together. These freeze beautifully by the way..place bars into a freezer safe container and seperate the layers with parchment/wax paper.

Magic Bars..Eagle Brand 
1-1/2 cups Graham Cracker crumbs
1/2 cup Butter,Melted
1 (140z) can Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups Chocolate Chips
1-1/3 cups Flaked Coconut
1 cup Chopped Nuts..I used pecans
1/2-1 tsp each of Salt and Cinnamon;Optional

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 13x9 pan with nonstick spray and set aside. 

Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter (plus the cinnamon and salt if using it) in a small bowl. Press into the bottom of the pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with a fork.

Bake in oven 25-30 mins or until lightly browned. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into bars. If you don't wait long enough they will be more difficult to cut and could slightly fall apart.

** Use any combo of chocolate chips..1 cup chocolate,1 cup Butterscotch or use dried fruit like cranberries**

** For easier cutting,line the whole pan with foil while allowing the foil to hang over the sides. Spray with non stick spray. After the bars have baked and cooled,lift up with edges of foil to remove from pan. Cut into bars.**

** For my Dutch/Germany friends you can buy sweetened condensed milk in stores. In Germany I see it being sold under the label of Baren Marke..just make sure you don't buy the evaporated milk. Sweetened condensed milk is really thick..the evaporated milk is more like a watery milk. In the Netherlands it's sometimes sold in the ethnic section of the store. I find mine on the bottom shelf in Albert Heijn but I know you can find it in other stores. The label is in english and says, Full cream sweetened condensed milk and it comes in 397gram size..the exact amount you need**