Monday, January 10, 2011

Lemon Meringue Muffins

              Back in December I hear a knock on the door. The postman has a package for me. I was super curious because I wasn't expecting anything. I look at the return address and get a huge smile on my face. It was from Kathy over at West Family Adventures. She lived in Germany for awhile and has since returned back to the states. We've exchanged several e-mails over time and it's always nice getting to talk with someone else who understands the struggles of living an expat life and I love reading about her new adventures of living back in the U.S. 

I ripped open the box and out came candy canes,peanut butter cups,cold pills(those were a life saver when my husband was sick),ranch packets and holiday baking magazines!! I think I actually twirled around the living room. I instantly lost the candy canes to the boys..it's been 3-1/2 years since they had one! I've seen candy canes here but they taste really weird so we never bother buying them anymore. I sat down right away to read the Taste of Home magazine she sent me and started making a list of what I was going to bake. So I'm here to share the first recipe!
     I was excited to try this recipe because I've never seen a lemon meringue muffin before. I made them on saturday and man did we LOVE these! The meringue is almost like a frosting..it was sticky and just perfect. The muffin itself was really moist with a wonderful mellow lemon flavor.
                 If you aren't a meringue fan, these muffins can totally stand alone just fine. You can still make these but just leave the final step of adding the meringues out. Thank you ever so much Kathy for all the wonderful items you sent to us. Your friendship means the world to me and I'm so glad were able connect through our blogs..blogging really does put you in contact with the most wonderful people that you wouldn't normally get the chance to connect with in everyday life.

Lemon Meringue Muffins..1 dozen
6 TBL Butter, softened
1 cup Sugar, divided
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Plain Yogurt
2 TBL Lemon Juice
1 TBL Lemon Peel
1/4 tsp. Lemon extract
1-1/3 cups Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
Pinch of Salt
2 Egg Whites

Place egg whites in small mixing bowl and set aside. Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line cupcake pan with liners and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in yogurt, lemon juice, peel and extract. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda,and pinch of salt; add to creamed mixture just until moistened.

Fill muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake for 18 minutes. While muffins are baking beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until soft glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.

Transfer meringue to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hoel in the corner of bag. Pipe onto muffins. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until meringue is golden brown and toothpick inserted into the muffin cones out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. Serve warm and refrigerate leftovers.

**I skipped the part about putting the meringue into a bag and just scooped the meringue onto the muffins. I would also say that these are best served warm and eaten on the same day they are made. The tops became slightly dry a few hours after cooling down.**