Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

            I can't begin to tell you how much I love catering my husband's work meeting every week. Last week I sent in Magic Bars and I am happy to report that they went totally crazy over the chocolately sweet and salty combo. A few days ago one of his co workers called in to ask what I was bringing in this week. When he told her she shouted what it was over her shoulder to her husband(her husband is now another big fan of the American muffin:). She was excited to try these muffins since she had never had lemon and poppy seed together. I'm quickly learning that every single item I send in,is not only new to them, but the combinations are something they themsevles have never thought of. I received several muffin orders from one of the parents of my husband's co worker and I hope to be posting about another surprise I learned about..but don't want to mention it just yet until I know that it's a done deal : ) but I'm very very excited and nervous.

I've been on a massive lemon kick lately. I think that lemon and poppy seed has got to be on of my most favorite flavor of muffin. The lemon packs a serious punch in this recipe and it's wonderful! poppy seeds have an underlining nutty factor that pairs so well with lemon. The muffin is seriously moist and the glaze just pushes the lemon flavor up a serious puckering punch. Thanks to Thibeault's Table for a fantastic recipe! The original recipe stated that it made 12 large muffins. I filled the muffin cups full and still came away with 18 and could of easily come away with 24. I do like the fact of filling the muffins cups full because you get a nice sized dome on top. 


Glazed Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

2 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1/2 cup Buttermilk
2 TBL Fresh Lemon Juice
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter,Softened
1 TBL Grated Lemon Zest
2 Large Eggs
2 tsp. Poppy Seeds

Glaze
1 tsp. Melted Butter
4 tsp. Lemon Juice
Powdered Sugar


Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the flour,baking powder, salt and baking soda.


In another bowl whisk together the sour cream, buttermilk and lemon juice. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar, butter and lemon zest in a large bowl until blended. Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each one until mixture is light and fluffy..make sure to scrape the sides down occasionally. Beat in the dry and wet ingredients alternately starting with the flour and then the buttermilk/sour cream mixture. I went ahead and did flour,cream,flour and the rest of the cream mixture...Mix just until blended. Stir in poppy seeds. 

Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake 20-22 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 mins before take them out of the pan and allowing them to cool completely on a wire rack.


To make the glaze combine the melted butter, lemon juice and enough powdered sugar to make a glaze. I didn't want mine runny but slightly a step or two beyond that. You can dip,drizzle or pipe on the glaze over the tops of the still warmed muffins.


Makes 12-18 muffins..depending on how full you fill the cups.