Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies


      So last week my husband comes home and tells me that I am going to be catering his weekly meeting with my baked items. I sent in Buttermilk Banana Nut Muffins months ago and I guess they have been talking about them ever since. I sent in more last week and he jokingly told them that I could send in baked items once a week for them to have during their meeting. They said yes. I guess they have been super curious for the longest time about the things I bake and how much they want to try everything..including the peanut butter combination that noone is really familiar with other here. The only item I am not allowed to put into the baked items is..meat..Hmm.. I guess I won't be trying hamburger cupcakes anytime soon..Ha!
  I am beyond excited about this by the way. I have a mile long list of baked items I want to make and the fact that I have noone else to share them with has stopped me from making alot of them. I'm excited to let them taste and see that American baked items are not these horrible sickingly sweet and evil things they tend to believe here. That doesn't mean we don't have those items..if I sent in anything with a cream cheese frosting they would hate it. I decided to start out slow and send in cookies..the Dutch love love LOVE their cookies. I sent in 3 types..Snickerdoodles,Chocolate Crinkles and these bad boys..Oatmeal Toffee. My friend Lizzy brought me back a bag of Heath English Toffee Bits on her recent trip back to the U.S. I'd never had those before so I was excited to give them a try. This recip does not disappoint! I will go so far as to say that they are my favorite oatmeal cookie. They are soft,chewy..both from the toffee bits and the flaked coconut and my coconut hating husband gave these two very big thumbs up.

The cookie base in my opinion allows all kinds of changes. You can use another flavor like chocolate chips instead of the toffee..leave out the coconut and add in chopped pecans. Since I only had one bag I won't beable to make the Heath version anymore..but I will be trying the chocolate and pecan version again soon! I hope they like what I sent in..it will be a new experience for them to try 3 soft cookies. All cookies here are crunchy based on the opinion that a soft cookie is an old cookie. I am a total soft cooking loving gal :) The original recipe can be found on the Hershey's website.

Oatmeal Toffee Cookies..4-5 dozen       
1 cup Butter, Softened
2 Eggs
1-3/4 cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
3 cups Quick Cooking Oats
1 cup Sweetened Coconut Flakes;optional
2 cups Packed Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/3 cups Heath Toffee Bits

Heat oven to 375 or 190c. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
Beat butter, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, beat until blended.


Stir in oats, toffee bits and coconut with large wooden spoon. Drop by rounded teaspoons full about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 mins or until edges are lightly browned. Cool 1 min, remove to wire rack.


** I followed alot of the other suggestions and baked them for only 8 mins. They will be pale when you take them out but to get a nice soft cookie you need to take it out before it gets to hard. Incase you are not able to get the toffee bits feel freeze to use any type of milk chocolate toffee candy bar. I would place it in a plastic bag,free it for a few mins and that will allow you to smash the bars easier**