Thursday, December 2, 2010

Brownie Coffeecake

  
   
My birthday rolled around again. I turned 36 on Dec 1st. It feels weird to say I am 36. I don't know what a 36 year old is supposed to feel like..but if it means to feel a little bit like the time clock is ticking a bit faster,the need to feel more fullfilled is a constant nagging feeling and wondering what the future holds for myself..then I guess I am right where I should be.
        I started baking my own birthday cakes when I moved to The Netherlands. I am not a fan of Dutch desserts and it gives me a chance to try something new each year. This time around I decided on a brownie coffecake! I've been eyeing the recipe for over a year now and decided to give it a shot!

It's a real treat! You get the brownie taste with a wonderful pecan streusel topping. Well yours will look more like a streusel because when you make it you will remember to not let your butter pratically melt in a bowl that you left on the heater! So instead of a crumbly top it kind of baked down a little. The awesome taste was still there so thats all that matters in the end :) It's a rich cake and best served warm to get that lovely brownie taste. The cake became slightly dry the next day so I would say it's best served when you make it and if you have leftovers pop it into the microwave to warm up a bit :)

We've gotten a bunch of snow and like always..the tradition of putting up the christmas tree on my birthday made it all that more special. When I first moved here I couldn't find anyone who sold christmas trees right before the 1st. Last year I finally found someone and when we went back this year he remembered us right away. I don't imagine he gets to many Dutch/American couples who insist on purchasing a tree towards the end November :)

Brownie Coffeecake

1-1/4 cups Flour
2 TBL Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 cup Butter
1-1/2 cups Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Sour Cream..reduced fat or regular

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 cup Butter; Softened

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Coat a 9 inch springform pan with nonstick spray.

Whisk flour,cocoa,baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl until thoroughly blended.

Melt butter and 1 cup of chocolate chips in a medium saucepan over low heat,stirring as needed until everything has melted. Remove from heat; Whisk in sugar, then eggs, and vanilla until blended. Stir in sour cream. Pour chocolate mixture into flour mixture making sure to scrape out all the chocolate..Stir until smooth. Stir in remaining chocolate chips. Pour mixture into prepared pan.

Combine all of streusel topping in a bowl and combine using a fork until coarse crumbs form. Sprinkle over batter. Bake 50-55 mins or until a wooden toothpick inserted towards the middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack and serve warm.