Monday, November 29, 2010

Revamped Green Bean Casserole & We have Snow!

   
  We've got snow!! I'll post a pic at the end of this post so you can see :) I'm always extra happy about the first snowfall of the year..showed up right on time for my birthday on Dec 1st!...First lets talk about green bean casserole. I think most all of us who have had this know that the main ingredient is cream of mushroom gloop soup. Now I'm not at all knocking the stuff..I've used it many times myself but I'm beyond happy to know there is another version..a much better version in my opinion to try. They actually don't sell cream of anything here and there is a way for me to make my own but I don't really need to now :)


The main ingredients in this version is sour cream and cheese! The flavor is fantastic,way better texture and I won't ever go back to the other way again. Ok here is a snow pic!
        I'm soooooo happpy!!!!!

No Mushroom Soup Green Bean Casserole

2 TBL Butter
2 TBL Flour
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
1 cup Sour Cream
3 (14.5ounces) Green Beans Drained
2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1-1/3 cups French Fried Onions

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. In a large saucepan or frying pan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and whisk until smooth, and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and whisk or stir in the salt,sugar,and sour cream. Add in green beans and stir to coat.

Transfer to a 2-1/2 quart lightly greased baking dish. Sprinkle cheese over the top and sprinkle the french fried onions over the cheese. Bake covered with foil for 15 mins. Remove foil and bake another 15 mins or until top is golden and cheese is melted.  

** For my euro/dutch peeps I usually buy two of the large jars of green beans that they sell at the store. I've never found a small jar of green beans and two seems to be perfect and I used Creme Fraiche in place of sour cream**