Wednesday, November 3, 2010

English Muffin Toasting Bread

Aahh is there anything better than homemade bread? How about no knead homemade bread? now thats a total winner in my book! You have to,just have to make this bread. It's sooo good.
    I spotted this over at Food for A Hungry Soul. Katy has like the best recipes ever. I have a ton bookmarked and need to start making them. I couldn't resist when it had english muffin in the title and the fact that there is no kneading required pretty much sealed the deal for me. I am not a breadmaker/baker at all. Infact I've never made bread the traditional way of kneading it and allowing it to rise several times. It's on my list of things to do but I keep putting it off. I still have yeast issues.. :P So if you are like me then give this recipe a shot. It's easy and the bread tastes fantastic. It has the emglish muffin type holes and it makes the BEST toast! I heard it's great for french toast but ours never made it that far. I served it with my homemade soup recipe that we love and it was all gone.

A few tips to keep in mind. When heating up the milk mixture in the microwave you really need to make sure you reach the correct temp so make sure you do this. Also the direction say to mix this with an electric mixer. I don't see that happening unless you have a really good mixer like a kitchenaid. When I went to mix mine it climbed up my bread spiral hooks after 30 seconds and I was worried it was going to break my poor mixer. So I mixed the rest with a wooden spoon. My dough wasn't really soft like the directions state but I was able to dump it into my loaf pan and spread it out without any troubles. Other then that you are good to go. Make sure you use the instant yeast it calls for..not the rapid rise yeast. Thank you Katy for a fantastic recipe! Im going to make another loaf as soon as I'm done with this post! If you'd like step by step photos head over to the original recipe wich can be found HERE. When Im baking alone I rarely take step by step photos..Im not that talented yet : )

English Muffin Toasting Bread
3 cups Flour..make sure you fluff up the flour before measuring
1 TBL Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 TBL Instant Yeast
1 cup Milk
1/4 cup Water
2 TBL Vegetable or Olive Oil
Cornmeal to sprinkle in pan.

Whisk together the flour,sugar,salt,baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing, bowl.

Combine milk,water, and oil in a seperate microwave-safe bowl, and heat to between 120*F-130*F(48-54 celcius). The liquid will feel very warm(hotter than lukewarm) but shouldn't burn you.

Pour hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Beat at high speed for 1 minute. The dough will be really soft.

Lightly grease an 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf pan, and sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal. Scopp the dough into the pan,making sure to level it in the pan as much as possible.

Cover the pan and allow the dough to rise till it's just barely crowned over the rim of the pan..No more than 1/4 inch over the rim.
   That should take about 45 mins to an hour if you heated the liquid to the correct temp. If your kitchen is cold I would suggest you warming the oven up just a little and then turning it off and popping the bread in there to rise. I always do that and have never had problems with rising.

Remove the bread from the oven (if you go that route) Pre heat the oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Bake the bread for 20-22mins,till it's golden brown and sounds hollow on top when you thump it. Remove bread from oven and allow to sit for 5 mins in the pan. After that turn it out and allow the bread to completely cool on wire rack before slicing. I went ahead and ran some butter over the top to give it a nice crust.