Friday, October 1, 2010

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken

Please excuse that horrible photo! we have the worst lighting in the house and it really needs to change. Now that we are lacking the beautiful sunny days I need to bust out my light box again. So wow can you believe it's already October 1st? it's craziness. The boys have a week long fall break coming up so thats something to look forward to :)

I made this spicy chicken lastnight and paired it with the cauliflower "mac" and cheese I posted yesterday. It was a big hit. My 10 year old who is hyper sensitive to spicy foods ate all of this without complaint. To be honest, it wasn't spicy at all. When I read the comments most said the same thing as I did. It had a great blend of spices but wasn't spicy at all..wich is a good thing for us. I did add less than 1/4 of the cayenne pepper but will add the all of it next time.

You can grill this,broil it,bake it,or fry it on the stovetop like I did. I also used white vinegar instead of the cider without any problems. I never have cider vinegar in the house but will pick some up the next time I'm in Germany. I also used chicken breasts instead of the boneless thighs. I have never found those here. You could also use chicken wings,or drumsticks even.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken.. MyRecipes.com
2 tsp. Garlic Powder
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Paprika
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper..or to taste
8 boneless skinless Chicken things..I used 4 breasts
6 TBL Honey
2 tsp. Cider Vinegar

          Pre heat broiler. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. I went ahead and took each piece and rubbed it all over with the spices.
        Place chicken on a broiler pan thats been coated with cooki spray. Broil chicken 5 mins on each side. Combine honey and vinegar in a small and stir well. It takes about a minute for it to completely combine. Remove chicken from oven and brush about 1/4 of the mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken,turn over and brush the remaining mixture onto the chicken. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.

If using the stove top. Place a small amount of oil in the pan and cook the chicken. Baste with the sauce during the last few minutes of cooking the chicken.    

** As a side note for my Euro Peeps..I used american chili powder. I bought the dutch version of it once and it burned my mouth. The stuff back home is more mild compaired to the stuff here..so keep that in mind when making this.**