Saturday, October 23, 2010

S'Mores Bars

      I should be baking fall like desserts I know but I had a serious craving for S'Mores!!! I spotted this recipe on Let's Dish in September. I bookmarked it and totally forgot about it until this weekend. I had all the ingredients and headed into the kitchen. Everything came together without effort and the whole house started smelling amazing.
      It's very difficult to give these time to completely cool off..infact I sorta failed..wich is why my squares are not very neat looking. If you allow them to cool all the way it will make the cutting alot easier :) These tasted fantastic! part of the marshallow fluff broke through the topping and it slightly hardened. When I took a bite it was perfectly crisp and chewy..almost like a meringue. I actually prefer these bars over the actual s'mores I think. The chocolate was perfectly melted and don't worry about the marshmallow ooze that comes out during baking aswell as when you cut through the bars. Thats all part of the fun :) Thank you to Let's Dish for a total keeper of a recipe!!!

** For my Euro Peeps..use digestive or tea biscuits in place of the graham cracker crumbs..unless you are able to find Graham Crackers**

** It is not advised to use regular marshmallows in place of the creme. I guess the marshmallows disappear while baking**

S'Mores Bars

1/2 cup Butter;softened
3/4 cup Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/3 cups Flour
3/4 cup Graham Cracker crumbs(about 6 sheets)
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
4 (1.5 ounce) Milk Chocolate Bars
1 (7oz) jar Mashamallow Creme/Fluff

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch pan and set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour,cracker crumbs,baking powder,salt, and stir to combine; Set Aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy. Add egg and vanilla,beat until combined. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined. Press half of the dough evenly in the bottom of the dish. Spread marshmallow creme over the dough. Lay the chocolate bars on top of the creme, breaking apart as needed to creat an even layer of chocolate. Spread remaining dough over the chocolate. It's easiest if you place pieces of the dough all over the chocolate and carefully press together to form the top layer.

Bake 25-30 mins or until a nice golden brown topping forms. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting into squares. Serve with coffee or a big glass of milk :)        


Food Holiday Link Party