Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Peanut Butter Popcorn

Popcorn has got to be our favorite snack. When we moved here I was taken back when I discovered there were only two flavors of microwavable popcorn here. You can choose between salt or sweet. Thats it. No artery clogging butter or cheese is sold here. I must say I now prefer the lightly salted popcorn over butter now. 

While zooming around Foodgawker I spotted a recipe for peanut butter popcorn over at My Adventures In Food. I had never heard of that type of popcorn and decided to give it a shot. I really liked it. The boys reallllllllllyyy liked it. When they came home from school and saw the snack waiting for them..well needless to say I was pretty much the greatest Mom ever :) This recipe is just a jumping off point in my opinion. You could drizzle melted chocolate over the top,maybe even some white chocolate,or melted caramel. I could see this paired with pretzels or as My Adventures in Food did..add in some M&M's. I bet this would be great with reeces pieces..the possibilites are endless. 

For my Euro peeps: The peanut butter over here does not contain the salt levels that american peanut butter has. I am going to add a slight amount of salt to mine next time but I don't think you need to if using american peanut butter. I can remember someone giving me a jar of Skippy a few years back and I tossed it out after tasting nothing but salt..yuck. Thank you to My Adventures in Cooking for a killer snack!

It's Tuesday's Around The World on Communal Global. We'd love it if you joined us by sharing a picture of one your "Todays". Please head over and link up with us and visit everyone else who has signed up. 

Peanut Butter Popcorn
1/2 cup Popcorn Kernels
1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 TBLS Butter
Add ins: Melted chocolate,M&M's,pretzels,reeces pieces,cinnamon,white chocolate,candy corn.


Pop your popcorn using any method you like. I used the stove top and like the way it tastes more than using an air popper. Place popcorn in a large bowl.


Place peanut butter and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat until melted,about 30-40 seconds. Drizzle the peanut butter mixture over the popcorn and gently toss to coat(I used a wooden spoon). Spread popcorn onto a sheet of parchment paper/wax paper and allow to cool. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top at this point and allow to set. Mix in choice of candy and enjoy!