Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bread from Germany

One of the best things about living in Europe is the ability to travel all over at a much lower price. For the cost of a plane ticket back home I can book a very nice holiday somewhere over here. The other good thing is that alot of times you are not that far from a neighboring country. I've mentioned it before that I am only 10 mins from the German border. I love to head over and try new foods. Im addicted to their fresh breads. I am not a fan of the dutch bakeries but love the german ones. Every week we head over the border to pick up bread. 
          First up are these bread rolls. These are super common. The german people head to the bakeries in the morning and by a ton of these and they use them to make sandwiches with. They are slightly hard on the outside and chewy on the inside. These cost around 15 cents a piece and we always pick up around 20.
   These are what I consider to be french bread. They are covered in cheese..both top and bottom and they are soooo delicious! I loving buying one and serving it with homemade soup.
  We always have to have these when we go. They remind me of a snails shell. It's a roll with a variety of cheeses..and it's super addicting. I have to laugh to myself when I go in. The major thing I notice while they are getting my order is that not one of them wears a pair of gloves. They finger all the breads while looking for a good one to give you..I realise this wouldn't work back home..people would be complaining left and right but there is no way I would ever say something about that here. For one, it's normal and for two..those German women would seriously come around the counter and kick the poo out of me. I love them though. They bake the best bread ever. I can't wait until I can go again next week :)