Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze

I'm not sure what the weather is like where you are but it's cold here! I decided to warm the house up by baking a delicious fresh apple cake : ) The recipe comes from Monica over at Lick the Bowl Good. I love how she will take a large recipe and scale it down. Although we are a family of 4 we don't need a 13x9 cake..we might want it but we don't need it. 

The recipe is super simple to make..aslong as you pay attention. The cake part I had no problems what so ever..and then I went to make the brown sugar glaze. As I was mixing it I turned around to take care of something else and it was at that moment that I never should of left it. It got super hot and I thought I burned it. I poured it over the cake and watched it..harden.
  It kept getting harder and then really shiny..as in glass like shiny..candy like shiny!!! I took a spoon and tapped the top of it..sure enough it made that hollow hard as rock sound. I cooked it way to long and it was to hot. I let it sit while we ate dinner and then started serving it. We all laughed because the top broke into a million pieces.
                
    We laughed even harder as we ate it and made really loud crunching noises(like the scene from Christmas Vacation where they are all eating that crispy dry turkey). It tasted fantastic and although the topping was..slightly break a filling in your tooth crunchy,we all loved it.It wasn't overly sweet at all. I added slightly more walnuts than the recipe called for only because we love them. So pay attention while making the glaze so this doesn't happen to you : ) Thanks Monica for a wonderful recipe that I will be making again!

Apple Cake w/ Brown Sugar Glaze

1-1/2 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Finely Chopped Apples
1/2 cup Pecand or Walnuts,chopped(optional)

Brown Sugar Glaze
1/2 cup packed light Brown Sugar
3 TBL. Butter
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 TBL. Heavy Cream

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease and flour an 8 inch round or square baking pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda,salt and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk to mix everything together.

In a large bowl,mix the eggs with a hand mixer until light in color and foamy. Add in the oil and vanilla and beat well.

Stir in flour mixture with a spoon and continue stirring the batter until the flour disappears. Add the apples and nuts and stir to mix them into the batter. ** At this point I noticed the batter was way to thick. I added in under 1/4 cup of water to thin it out more**

Scrap batter into prepared pan and bake 40-45 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Place the hot cake on a wire rack. While it's still hot, make the glaze.

Combine the glaze ingredients into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentl boil. Cook for 3-5 mins.

Spoon the hot glaze over the still hot-from-the-oven-cake. Let glazed cake cool completely before serving straight from the pan.

**I cooked my glaze for about 5 mins but next time I will do it for the 3 mins and see how that works**