Monday, September 6, 2010

Spaghetti Pizza

We've got another day of sunshine here and I'm just loving it. My youngest son is feeling better so thanks so much for the get well soon messages. I seem to of caught a small amount of the cold but thankfully it seems to be already moving on :)

Spaghetti is always a favorite for most families..however I've talked before about mine and my husband's issues with red sauce. I just can not seem to love it. I always love what it goes with;noodles,meats,cheeses, but always wish there was less sauce. I have a Taste of Home magazine called Family Favorite Pasta and it has over 230 recipes..and not all of them have the red sauce. However I let my two sons go through the pages and put a sticky note on the ones they wanted to try. This was the first one.

What I liked about this recipe is that the spaghetti noddles actually made a firm crust on the bottom. On top are the traditional pizza like toppings and feel free to add or take away from the list. I always use fresh ingredients so I left out the canned mushrooms and replaced them with fresh. I added them into the hamburger and cooked them that way. What I didn't like is because the bottom is so firm, the topping can slide right off..wich it did when trying to cut it. It's not a huge issue but something I noticed while eating it. Pair this with a side salad and you've got a great weeknight meal!

Spaghetti Pizza..8 servings

2 Eggs
1 cup Milk
1 pkg (16 ounces) cooked spaghetti
1 lb Ground Beef,cooked and drained
1 jar (28ounces) spaghetti sauce
1 can (4ounces) Mushroom stems and pieces;drained
1 pkg (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
1/4 cup Chopped Onion
Garlic Salt to taste
2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese


Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Gease a 13x9 baking dish and set aside.


In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and milk. Add spaghetti and toss to coat. Pour into greased baking dish. Top with beef,spaghetti sauce,pepperoni,mushrooms and onion. Sprinkles with garlic salt.


Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Sprinkles with cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese has melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting into.
    I'm not a fan of raw onions so when I do use them I always sautee them first. So in this case I cooked them with the hamburger and mushrooms. I think this would be great with black olives aswell.