Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Maple Walnut Brownies

I've officially let go of summer and I'm now welcoming in Fall! So now I'm craving maple things and apple dishes and stews and roasts..the list goes on and on :) I'm starting to think about Christmas too and all the wonderful things that come along with that!

These brownies are more like a moist snack cake in my opinion. They are slightly chewy,moist and have a smooth maple flavor. They are a great alternative to the chocolate brownie if you should need a break from those. Although the recipe never states when it says Maple syrup, I'm pretty sure they mean the real stuff. Please don't hate on me but I can not stand real maple syrup. The taste is just so off to me. That's probably beause I was raised on Aunt Jemima instead. So with that being said I never keep the real stuff in the house and used my homemade kind instead with no problems at all. The flavor was not overpowering and we all loved these brownie type snack cakes.

Maple Walnut Brownies..Taste of Home

1-1/4 cups Flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
6 TBS Unsalted Butter
3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
2 Eggs
1/2 tsp. Maple Flavoring
3/4 cup Chopped Walnuts

Maple Glaze
1 cup Powdered Sugar
2 TBS Maple Syrup
1-2 TBS Milk or Cream

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease an 8x8 square baking dish and set aside.

Combine flour,salt and baking powder,set aside. In a saucepan,melt butter and brown sugar. Make sure you do not allow it to cook over high heat. The brown sugar will start to turn into candy!! Remove from heat and stir in maple syrup. Cool mixture to lukewarm. Beat in eggs and flavoring (I used a whisk). Stir in flour mixture and nuts.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 mins or until edges pull away from the sides of the pa. Cool on wire rack.

For glaze combine ingredients and enough milk to achieve a pourable conistency. Drizzle over brownies.

We liked these even more when they were allow to sit for awhile. The brownie setteled and became more moist and the flavors were able to settle into one another.