Monday, September 20, 2010

Chicken Fajitas Mix

I often wonder why it takes me so long to try new recipes because the moment I make them I kick myself for not making it along time ago. Take chicken fajitas..I never had them before in my life until yesterday! Now I'm kicking myself over how easy it was to make and how incredibly delicious it is!! One of the reasons I loved this dish is because of how versatile it can be. We ate this without the flour tortillas and I could see this being served over white rice even.

I've had this recipe bookmarked for some time. It comes from My Kitchen Cafe and so far this is my third recipe of hers that we have loved. The other two were Sweet and Sour Chicken and Bourbon Chicken. The real winner in this dish is the liquid smoke! Although I can not find it here I've been lucky enough to have it sent over to me. Liquid smoke is one of those ingredients you never really think to use..but should! During the winter I like to use it in my hamburger meat and then fry them up in a pan. When you bite into one of them it tastes like you cooked it over a hickory smoked bbq :) So pick some up and give this recipe a try.

Thanks Melanie for yet another winner!!

Chicken Fajitas..served 4 adults and 2 kids

Marinade:
1/4 cup Fresh Lime juice..I used bottled
1/3 cup Water
2 TBL Vegetable Oil
2 Large Cloves Garlic,Minced
1 tsp. Salt
3 tsp. Apple cider or Red Wine Vinegar
2 tsp. Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp. Liquid Smoke
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/8 tsp. Onion Powder

Fajitas:
1-1/2 lbs. Chicken Breasts..I used 4
1 Yellow Onion,cut into thin strips..I forgot to add this
1 Green Pepper,cut into thin strips
1 Red Pepper,cut into thin strips
8 ounces Fresh Mushrooms,quarted or sliced
1 tsp. Soy Sauce
2 TBS. Water
1/2 tsp. Lime Juice
Dash of Salt and Pepper 

Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place chicken in a ziploc bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag,turn to coat and place in fridge for 2-3 hours..making sure to turn the bag half way though. Take chicken out of bag and discard marinade. Grill,broil,or like me fry the chicken until done. Remove from heat and tent with foil to keep warm.

In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat and add the onion,mushrooms and peppers. Stir fry until softened but still crisp tender. Add soy sauce,water,lime juice, and salt and pepper. Cook 2-3 mins longer,stirring frequently.

Slice chicken thinly on the diagonal and toss with the veggies in the skillet. Serve right away with flour tortillas,tomatoes,lettuce,sour cream and cheese...or eat it as is or maybe over some rice : )