Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole

I love Facebook for many reasons..One being that when someone on my friends list uploads a photo of food they made I am able to get new ideas : ) This happens to be one of them. My friend Tammy made this casserole and the instant I saw it I knew I had to make it.

The recipe comes from Food Network and is supposed to be another way to enjoy the flavors of macaroni and cheese but without the pasta. Now to be honest it's kind of hard to imagine that cauliflower could take the place of pasta so don't go into this thinking that it will and then leave me messages saying it didn't taste anything like mac n cheese. However if you love cauliflower and cheese then you are so going to love this. It's seriously delicious and makes a great side dish to almost anything. It's creamy and does have the flavors of mac n cheese so I do get where they are coming from. I would suggest you let the casserole sit for a few mins when it comes out of the oven. It was a tad bit soupy but I think if I had allowed it to sit for a few mins it would of thickened up a bit more. You could get creative with this and possibly add in some diced up bacon or ham and make it a main dish or throw in some broccoli. The sauce is heavenly!

Cauliflower "Mac" and Cheese Casserole..serves 6
1 Large head Cauliflower,cut into small florets
1 cup Heavy Cream
2 ounces Cream Cheese, cut into small pieces
1-1/2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1-1/2 cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/4 tsp. Ground Balck Pepper
1/8 tsp. Garlic Powder

Pre heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease an 8x8 baking dish with non stick spray and set aside.

Bring large pot of water to boil. Sprinkle the water with salt. Cook cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender,about 5 mins. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer to baking dish and set aside.

Bring cream to a simmer on a small saucepan,and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese,salt to taste,pepper and garlic powder;whisk just until the cheese melts,about 1-2 mins. Remove from heat and pour over the cauliflower,and stir to combine. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly,about 15 mins.

Mine never got brown so if yours doesn't either then I wouldn't worry about it.