Monday, August 9, 2010

Homemade Cheese Crackers

Before we went on vacation I went into baking mode. I tried out several recipes with one not turning out right but that was more my fault than the recipes. I'm happy to say these awesome cheese crackers turned out perfectly!

I found this recipe over at Cupcake Project. She actually made goldfish crackers but since I did not have a tiny fish cookie cutter I went with more of a cracker shape. When I first tasted these they reminded me more of a Cheese Nip than a Goldfish cracker..but it's been years since I had either one so I could be wrong on both accounts. However the flavor is spot on! they have such a great taste and a crack like addiction. You will find yourself popping these left and right and wondering why there is nothing left! These can be whipped up in a snap and the dough can sit in the fridge up to 24hrs. It rolls out perfectly..seriously just go make these!!

I kept the recipe as is except for the pepper. I only added 1/4 teaspoon that was perfect for us. I used sharp cheddar cheese wich again I thought was just perfect. You can get creative with the cheese though..use whatever you like.I bet pepperjack cheese might be good too..seriously why can't they sell that here!?! Also the recipe never states this but I went ahead and shredded my cheese. I do not have a food processor yet(hint..hint to the husband) so I did everything by hand with no problems! Thanks Cupcake Project for a cracker I will be making again and again and AGAIN! 

Cheese Crackers
 1 cup Flour
4 TBS Cold Unsalted Butter,cut into small pieces
8 oz Cheese..Your Pick! I used sharp and I shredded it!
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
Fish cookie cutter or just use a pizza wheel like I did.

1. Pulse the flour,butter,cheese,salt,and pepper using a foos processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal. **If you are like me and have a food processor on your wish list, cut the butter into the ingredients until it's all mixed in and resembles coarse meal. I went ahead and used my hands**

2. Pulse in 3-4 tablespoons of water,one tablespoon at a time, and only enough so that the dough forms a ball and rides the blade.( I added in 3 tablespoons and mixed it in with a wooden spoon until a ball formed.)

3. Take the ball and wrap it up in plastic wrap, and chill for 20 mins or up to 24hrs.


4. Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.


5.Roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness ( if you roll it out thicker it will still work,but the crackers won't be as crunchy. The dough rolls out beautifully I must say!)


6. Use either a tiny fish cookie cutter or like me I took a pizza cutter and cut the dough in strips and then cut across..almost looks like the gum Chicklets when you are done. I made sure to make them small so that I could get as many crackers as possible!


7. Place them on the cookie sheets 1 inch apart. Bake until golden and crisp..about 15-20 mins.


8. On a side note make sure you get them crispy. My second batch wasn't crispy enough and I put those aside to take along with us. The next day they were soft and almost stale like. They tasted great but they lost wat little crisp factor they had. However once you make the first batch you won't want to save any..lol