Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Ham Pot Pie

It's been cooler the last few days..well to be honest this whole month has been filled with cooler weather. I think it's safe to say that our summer like weather is long gone! I decided that although it felt odd to bring out some fall like weather recipes we were in need of one!
    Pot pie isn't something I make..mostly because of the pie crust thats involved. They do not sell ready made pie crusts here so I am on my own if I need to make one..and I have yet to make one. I stumbled upon this recipe back in January and bookmarked it. Growing up I always had those small pot pies that came in either turkey,chicken or beef. This pot pie puts those to shame. The filling is 100 times better and I love the biscuit topping..we all loved it(the boys asked to have the leftovers for lunch: ). The original recipe called for a pie crust but instead Stirring the Pot made a switch to biscuits. I'm so glad she did! They went perfect with this meal and I liked it much more than with a pie crust. I will be making this over and over again and switching the ham out for chicken and turkey. 

Here are some tips: The recipe calls to put the mixture into a 2 quart casserole. I highly suggest you put it into a 13x9 dish instead. There is alot of filling and I read from one other blogger who made this that her filling spilled all over the place. So I used the 13x9 and it worked perfectly. When chopping up your veggies make sure they aren't to thick or they won't soften in time. I noticed this myself when eating some of the potatoes. I bumped my potatoes up to 2 cups and used dried onions instead..about 1/4 cup.  

Thanks for a wonderful recipe Stirring the Pot!

Ham Pot Pie..serves 6-8

1 cup Diced Potatoes
1 cup Diced Onions
1 cup Diced Celery
1 cup Diced Carrots
1/3 cup Butter,melted
1/2 cup Flour
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Half and Half
1 tsp. Salt
Pepper to taste
4 cups Ham,cooked and chopped

Biscuits
2 cups Flour
1 TBL Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Sugar
1/2 cup Butter,diced
1/2 cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
Extra cream for brushing on top

Pre heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Saute onion,celery,carrots,and potatoes in butter for 10 mins.
  Add flour to sauteed mixture,stirring well. Cook for one minute stirring constantly. Combine broth and half and half. Gradually stir into veggie mixture.
   Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt and pepper,add ham and stir well. Pour into greased baking dish.
 To make biscuits, combine the flour,baking powder,salt and sugar in a bowl. You can either use an electrix mixer with the paddle attachment or your hand. If using an electric mixer add the butter and mix on low speed until butter is the size of peas. Add the half and half and combine on low speed. Mix in parsley. Dump dough onto floured surface,roll out to 3/8 inch thick;cut into 12 circles...OR don't roll it out and instead shape dough into 12 circles using your hand. If like me you are not using an electric mixer then just do it by hand..mix the butter in with the flour,baking powder,sugar and salt until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in everything else,mix and shape into 12 circles with your hands. Lay on top of the ham mixture.
   Brush the tops of the biscuits with milk or cream. Bake 30-40mins or until biscuits are cooked through and golden.