Monday, August 16, 2010

Cinnamon Roll Muffins/Biscuits

This is our last week of vacation! I wait all year for this and then it's gone in a blink of an eye. I guess thats what happend when summer vacation is only 6 weeks long. I don't look forward to the early mornings again!
  However making these babies in the morning is totally worth getting up for!
   Last week Cassie Craves had a few guest bloggers. One of them was Fake Ginger and she posted her recipe for cinnamon roll muffins. I decided to whip up a batch this morning and WOW are they fantastic! They are made very much like real cinnamon rolls but you skip the yeast part. This was my first attempt and I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out.
  I'm happy to say they turned out beautifully! I seriously suck at measurments but managed to roll out a horrible looking rectangle. Fake Ginger says to use 3-3-1/2 cups flour. You don't want to use to much flour or they become to dense but you need to use enough to make sure that the dough doesn't stick when rolling it out. I used 3 cups of flour and started using the remaining 1/2 cup as I kneaded it and floured the surface. Remember these are BISCUITS not cinnamon rolls so don't send me an e-mail telling me they aren't altogether like cinnamon rolls..that would be because they are biscuit like people. I have read on other sites from commenters complaining the rolls were to biscuit like. I mean honestly. Give them a try, you won't be sorry! Thanks Cassie for having a guest blogger and thanks to Fake Ginger for posting the recipe!

Cinnamon Roll Biscuits..1 Dozen

1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Egg
3 to 3-1/2 cups Flour

Filling:
2 TBL Butter,Softened
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 tsp. Ground Cinnamon

Icing:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
1-2 TBL Milk or Cream

Pre heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. To make the rolls combine the brown sugar,baking soda, salt,vanilla and egg into a mixing bowl. Add the buttermilk and then the flour. Stir until thoroughly combined. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead in the remaining 1/2 cup flour until the dough is no longer sticky(I used about 1/4 cups worth) knead for a minute of two.
    The dough will be nice and soft and not sticky. Roll the dough into a 12 inch by 24 inch rectangle. At first the dough will shrink back but keep rolling and it will start to stretch. Spread with butter and sprinkle with the brown sugar and cinnamon.
 (I went ahead and combined the brown sugar and cinnmon in a small bowl and then sprinkled it over the butter). Roll the dough into a log beginning with the wide side. Stretch the dough slightly..I made sure that when I stretched it that it reached 24 inches. Cut into 12 two inch pieces and put the pieces into either a muffin lined or greased 12 cup tin. 
     Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown. The tops will seriously rise so don't be alarmed
  Allow muffins to cool for 5 mins on a wire rack. Remove from muffin tins. I used cupcake liners and suggest that when you take them out of the tins that you also remove them from the liners. If you wait to long they tend to stick a bit to the paper. Drizzle with icing when cool..we couldn't wait that long.