Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Zucchini Patties

The stores are filled with zucchini right now. I bought a few the other day because they were only 45 cents a piece. I had planned on making bread with them but I changed my mind when I saw all the recipes called for 2-3 cups of sugar to make two loaves of bread. I thought that was a bit much. I'm going to hunt around for a lighter version of it.

I was on allrecipes and spotted THIS recipe. I had everything on hand and whipped them up for us on monday. We loved them so much I made them again lastnight. They are super easy to make and and taste great. I know alot of you grow zucchinis so here is a way to use some of them up! Make sure you use plenty of seasonings! I didn't add enough on monday and it was really bland.

Another key point is to make sure you drain the zucchini thoroughly! if you do not, your patties will be very soggy and likely to fall apart. I first used a colander and drained and squeezed as much of the juice out of the grated zucchini as I could. I then placed it into a cheesecloth and squeezed even more out. This is a versatile recipe. Add wichever kind of cheese you want,your favorite seasonings,drop the patties into bread crumbs to get a crunchier outside,swap out the onion for finely diced mushrooms or bell peppers..get creative!


Zucchini Patties..Makes 12


2 cups Grated Zucchini,drained and patted dry
2 Eggs,Beaten
1/4 cup Chopped Onion
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/2 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Seasonings to taste;Salt,Pepper,Seasoning Salt,etc..


In a medium bowl,combine the zucchini,eggs,onion,flour,cheese, and seasonings. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.

Heat small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonsful and slightly spread the batter out. Cook for a few mins on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.