Monday, July 5, 2010

Strawberry Coffee Cake

I should be cleaning house right now. I have two house guests coming tomorrow and there is a bunch of little things I need to get done. It seems like the little things are what take the longest. I will post more about my guests in the next few days:)

I had a bunch of strawberries that needed to be used up fairly quickly. Today was the first time in several days that it wasn't hot. However  the humidity level here was at 63%..wich is why I think my coffee cake sunk a bit. It still tasted fantastic but it still sunk none the less. My butter went from cold to soft in no time and I think that affected it when I baked it. Oh well I can overlook a sunken in coffee cake when it tastes as good as this! I think next time I will use less sugar. My strawberries were sweet on their own and I think 1/4 cup would of been just fine.
Many thanks to Cully's Kitchen for a great recipe!

Strawberry Coffee Cake
Topping:
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Cold Butter
1/4 cup Chopped Pecans

Batter:
1 cup Flour
1/4-1/2 cups Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Egg,Beaten
1/2 cup Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla..optional
2 TBL Butter,Melted
1-1/2-2 cups Sliced Fresh Strawberries

Pre heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease an 8 inch square baking dish and set aside.

To make topping combine the flour and sugar in a bowl. Using a pastry blender,two knives,or your hands,cut int the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans and set aside.

To make the Batter: In a mixing bowl, combine the flour,sugar,baking powder,and salt; Stir to mix. In a 2nd bowl, add the egg,milk,vanilla,and melted butter;stir to mix. Add into dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Pour into baking dish. Place strawberries evenly over top of batter.
 Sprinkle topping evenly over the strawberries.
  Bake 30-35 mins or until toothpick inserted towars the middle comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
  Serve warm or cooled..either way it's great!                                                 

8 comments:

Jen said...

yum, i was gonna make a strawberry shortcake cake this weekend, guess another day.... :)

Jenniffer said...

Just found your blog and enjoyed reading through some of the old posts. This sounds delicious!!

Rebecca said...

That coffee cake looks fabulous....Are YOU the one who posted the Strawberry Pie II recipe??

Sonya said...

Nope it wasnt me!

Spittin Toad said...

Looks Yummy!! I'll have to give it a try!! I'm trying new recipes this summer hoping that will trick me into thinking cooking is fun. ;)
Thanks for visiting my blog!
Denise

By the way I LOVED your 4Th of July strawberries...to cute!

Candee said...

That looks delish (as usual) - might be a good idea for me to use up my strawberries too! Where do u find AFFORDABLE pecans here?

Sommer J said...

still looks yummy!! i love baking/cooking with strawberries!!

Cassie said...

This looks SO GOOD, Sonya!