Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Favorite Grocery Store..

Once or twice a week I head over this way..to the south shopping center. It's a small shopping mall area that also has my favorite grocery store..C1000. It's big,has a great selection,and I can find american type products like root beer,maple syrup,and various other items. I thought I would show you the inside! My husband bought a new camera so he is giving me his. I only want it for the camera part of it. I don't actually need a cell phone since noone would ever call me anyway..lol So here we go!
 I took this photo while standing against the poultry section. I didn't take a ton of photos only because I worry about the store workers freaking out on me. This is a rare shot of a store with no people in it. We usually go around 6 or 7 at night and by then it's pretty much a ghost town.
 Here is another shot of the meat section. The signs that say "Actie" means there is a sale of some kind going on.
 This is the spice/herb aisle. I stand there for the longest time and pick out a new spice to try. This week it's Garam Masala. I come in contact with so many new and wonderful spices,herbs,and mixes. Almost all the stores have ethnic foods and I'm able to sample so many different things. This week I'm addicted to Hummus!
 Here is part of the american food section. They have Skippy peanut butter, root beer, microwavable popcorn, marshmallows,and an off brand of mac n cheese. There is a manager guy that perks up whenever I'm in the store. He knows I speak english and watches what american products I stick in my cart. I never buy the peanut butter because WOW is it salty! I never realised how salty american peanut butter is until I was given a jar of it. I threw it out because it didn't taste normal to me anymore.
  We've got Hellmann's Mayo here. I don't usually buy it because it's really expensive. I've gotten use to the light may here. I had a hard time with it because the fat content is much higher and people dip their fries in it more than they make a sandwich with it..yuck!
                                                                                   This is part of the bread and cheese aisle. The shelf life of bread is much shorter..a few days instead of weeks because the bread is made without all the preservatives. You need to get to the store before it closes and even before 5pm because when it's gone, it's gone. They do not restock here throughout the day. The bread is fresh everyday and it tastes amazing.
 This is the cheee section and various other items like cream cheeses,shredded cheeses,and other things. The cheese here comes in blocks or slices..both of wich are huge compaired to the U.S.. A slice of bread with cheese is to big to fit into a normal ziplock bag. You've not tasted cheese until you've had dutch cheese. I'm also able to try different varities of cheese aswell..Im so loving feta these days! I know they sell smoked gouda back home and that is not something you will find here. Infact that cheese tastes nothing like the real gouda you can buy here. Anyway so there you have it. A sneek peek into my favorite store. There are tons of more aisles in this store but I'm not of fan of including people in my photos and my husband was getting impatient:)                             

12 comments:

lytha said...

you wrote this for me, didn't you? i had no idea you could buy root beer over here. i'd even almost placed an order at foodfromhome.com but they want over a euro per can.

but for hellman's mayo and rootbeer maybe i'll just go to holland. i really don't care if it's expensive - i love my best foods mayo.

that spice section is more impressive anything i've seen here - even in the store with "germany's biggest selection."

i recently discovered a variety of cheese from holland called leerdamer (or maasdamer?) and it has holes and tastes just like swiss. but really really great swiss that i can just eat plain. ok gotta have a slice now. it's especially good with dry champagne.

would it be cheaper (than driving) to paypal you an order? hehehe

~lytha

Sonya said...

Well I know that not all C1000 stores have these products. I can go to another one here in town and they dont have any american type products..but yes we have root beer:) Im so happy since when I do chose to drink a pop,I always go for that one..it's my favorite. I pay about 88 cents per can so it's not a bad deal at all.
If u need something let me know!

Life with Kaishon said...

They dip their fries in mayonaise? Oh my goodness. That grossed me out Sonya. I am not a huge mayonaise fan! The store does look empty! My grocery store is always so busy it is insane. I have to give myself a peptalk to go into it.

Lost in Translation said...

I want to go!!!!!

Lythia, I have heard some edekas have american sections. There is one I know of in Heilbronn I need to visit.

Sonya said...

It's almost always packed but we went right before it closed and there was hardly anyone there. I hate shopping here because of how crowded it can get.

Candee said...

That looks like a nice size C1000!
I love the bread here and the cheese is so much better than I ever had back in Canada.
I love Hellmann's but it is fatty - it's a shame they don't come out with lighter variations.

Sonya said...

I always get the Halfvolle kind and even that took some getting used to.

Rebecca said...

It's funny to think that around HERE the grocery stores are packed after 5pm until about 10pm......actually pretty busy all day long but busiest after 5pm.

Thanks for showing me your grocery store!

Lizzy said...

I wish there was a C1000 near my house...that looks awesome! I love Hellmann's mayo. For me, the Dutch stuff just won't do for certain things like potato salad. It's too sweet and runny. Dutch mayo is really great on fries though! I love it! Oh, and about the Garam Masala...you should make Pioneer Woman's tikka masala recipe. I've made a vegetarian version, subbing more veggies for the chicken she uses, and it's awesome!

May said...

We do not have such big stores in our village. I am surprised with the range of spices available there. What do you plan to cook with Garam Masala??

Sonya said...

Lizzy thanks for the tip on what to make! I've been wondering what to do with it..lol

Deanna said...

I happen to like my fries dipped in mayo. Maybe it's my Dutch heritage coming out because I rarely see anyone here in the U.S. who does that. I enjoyed seeing pictures of the grocery store.