Monday, July 26, 2010

Focaccia Cheese Bread with Mushrooms

For dinner tonight I made soup and cheese bread..in July. I never make soup in July..ever..and if I did, it would be cold soup. However when I woke up this morning it was cold,grey,and raining. It felt like we were in October instead of july! It needs to do a major turn around or my vacation is going to a huge let down!

I wanted something to go along with my homemade potato soup and decided on a bread. I flipped through my newest Taste of Home cookbook that was sent to me from back home and setteled on Italian Snack Bread. It's a basic focaccia bread recipe that I played around with. I added in mozzarella cheese and sauteed mushrooms. I think next time I will make sure to add more salt and play around with the seasonings but other then that we really loved it!

Focaccia Cheese Bread

1 PKG Active Dry Yeast
1 cup Warm Water
1 Egg,lightly beaten
2 TBL Olive Oil
2-1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Salt
2-1/2 cups Flour
Topping:
1/4 cup Olive Oil
2 cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Sauteed Mushrooms
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced Onions;optional
1 tsp. Coarse Sea Salt;Optional

In a large bowl add flour,yeast, and water. Add in the egg,oil,oregano,and salt. Using a wooden mix until a soft dough forms. It will be sticky but thats ok. Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Pat into a greased 13x9 baking pan; set aside.
                               

In a skillet sautee the mushrooms and onions in the 1/4 cup oil until tender(if not using the onions you probbaly wont need that much oil if just sauteeing the mushrooms). Spoon evenly over dough and sprinkle with coarse salt. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled, about 30 mins.
                             
Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake 25-30mins..until golden brown.
 Cut into squares and enjoy! You can serve this warm or room temp. I allowed it to sit for a few mins before cutting into it. Goes great with a bowl of soup!