Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pizza Pasta Dinner

I love pasta in various forms..mostly with the white sauce. I have mentioned a few times that my husband and I are not fans of red sauce. I find it to be way to acidic for our liking. That doesn't stop us from eating but we just don't eat it as much. I wanted to change that though. Both of the boys love tomato based sauces so Im trying new recipes.

I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine called Family Favorite Pasta. There's 230 recipes in there so I knew I was going to find something! Well I ended up finding tons and tons and hope to cook my way through this wonderful magazine. I made a few changes wich I will list along side the recipe.
 I served this with garlic bread and salad and we all really enjoyed this and I will make it again.

Pizza Pasta..serves 6-8
2 cups uncooked Spiral Pasta..I used 3 cups of egg noodles.
1/2 lb. Ground Beef
1/2 lb. Bulk Italian Sausage..I used 1lb ground beef in total.
1 small Green Pepper,seeded and chopped
1 small Onion,chopped
3 ounces Sliced Pepperoni
1 can(14-1/2 ounces) Diced Tomatoes,undrained
1 Jar (14 ounces) Spaghetti Sauce
1 Jar(4-1/2 ounces) Sliced Mushrooms.I used fresh
1 Can(4-1/4 ounces) Chopped Ripe Olives,drained
1 cup Shredded Mozarella Cheese..I used 2

Boil pasta according to package directions. In the meantime brown the meats,onion,green peppers and mushrooms(if using fresh). Drain if needed. 

Add the pepperoni,tomatoes,spaghetti sauce,mushrooms(if using canned), and olives; cook and stir for 5 mins.

Drain the pasta,stir into meat mixture. Heat through.Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat; cover and let stand until cheese melts