Monday, June 21, 2010

Lemon Pie in a Meringue Shell

 A couple of days ago I got another big box from my Dad and step Mom. Inside were new Taste of Home cookbooks,magazines,and other wonderful items. I sat down right away and started going through all the cookbooks. I had in the back of my mind what I wanted to make for my husband on Father's Day.

He is a meringue and lemon fan and when I came upon this recipe in one of the cookbooks I knew I had to make it. I had planned on making a regular lemon meringue pie but when I saw that the crust was nothing but merginue,I couldn't resist.
  It was my first time using a meringue as a base and my first time making lemon curd. I am so hooked on lemon curd! WOW is it delicious and easy to make..well easy as long as you do not walk away from it. I was worried I was going to produce lemon scrambled eggs but thankfully that did not happen.

My one and only complaint is that there wasn't enough lemon curd. By using two cups of whipping cream you kind of mellow out the delicious taste of the curd. I didn't use the full two cups because I felt like that was to much. Next time I'm going to bump up the curd because wow is it delicious! The meringue itself was chewy with a slight crunch to it. Although I must confess to only slighly liking meringue and not loving it..it really was perfect in this recipe. If you don't feel like making a curd I honestly don't see why you couldn't make lemon pudding mixed in with the whipping cream!

Lemon Pie in a Meringue Shell..Makes 1- 9 inch pie
3 Egg Whites
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1-1/2 cups Sugar;divided
4 Egg Yolks
3 TBL Lemon Juice
1 TBL Grated Lemon Zest..left out
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream,whipped.


Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 9 inch pie plate and set aside.

Place the egg whites in a clean small mixing bowl and set aside at room temp for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar,beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time,beating until stiff peaks form. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased pie plate. Bake for 25-30 mins. Cool on wire rack.
                             
  In a large saucepan,combine the egg yolks,remaining 1/2 cup sugar,lemon juice and zest, and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160 or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Reduce the heat; cook and stir for another 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cool to room temperature without stirring.

Fold half of whipping cream into lemon filling; spread into the meringue shell. Top with remaining whipping cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve and remember to refrigerate any left overs.
 ** To make things go along quicker,I made the lemon curd while the meringue was baking in the oven. By the time the shell cooled, the curd has also cooled down**