Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream

The weather has been sooo amazing this week! sun and warmth almost every day. However, I made the big mistake of looking at whats coming up next week..middle 60's and RAIN! Seriously more rain? are you kidding me!?! I refuse to believe it though. I'm thinking happy thoughts and by next week it will be all sun again..

I soaked 4 chicken breasts in buttermilk today for tonights dinner. I always seem to use the buttermilk for one thing and the rest goes bad. I wanted to use it in something else other than biscuits or pancakes. The idea of turning it into ice cream came to mind and I hit the internet. I looked up several recips that called for an enormous amount of egg yolks...as in 12 of them. There was no way I was using that many in my ice cream. I went ahead and used my mint ice cream recipe as a base for it and swapped the milk our for the buttermilk.

I added lemon extract instead of vanilla and mint and away I went. I realllly wanted to like this..and a small part of me did. I think you have to really enjoy the flavor of buttermilk in order to really appreciate this ice cream. I read alot of the reviews on the ice cream and it got alot of praise. I honestly don't know what I was expecting. I guess I didn't expect it to be so tangy with that buttermilk aftertaste..but it was there. I liked the lemon flavoring but just couldn't get over that lingering buttermilk taste. I decided to include the recipe because it is something different from your everyday ice cream and there might be someone out there who is a buttermilk fanatic and might love this :)

Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream..1 Quart
2 cups Heavy Cream
1-1/2 cups Buttermilk
3/4 cup Sugar
4 Large Egg Yolks
1 tsp. Lemon Extract

Bring cream and buttermilk to a simmer in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and do not allow to boil. Meanwhile, use a handmixer to beat the sugar and egg yolks together until the mixture becomes smooth and thick, and lightens in color. 

While the mixer is still on,slowly add 1 cup of the simmering cream and milk mixture. Make sure to add it slowly or you will end up with scrambled eggs. Transfer the egg mixture back into the saucepan. and continue to cook until thickened and mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in extract. Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour cream mixture through it. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press the wrap onto the surface of the cream to prevent a skin on top. Refrigerate until completely cool; overnight or atleast 4 hours.

Pour into ice cream maker and process according to manufactorer's instructions. Transfer ice cream to air tight container and freeze until hardened.