Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I finally found it...

For 3 years I have been looking for these..3 whole years. I would hear from other expats living here that they could find them in their store or the local asian markets..I never could. I found a big one once..came home,opened it up..and it was white..and horrible. I think it was a Yam. Looking back I should of cooked it up and I plan to go back to the store and try. I wanted orange though..so I waited.
While shopping at my favorite store called C1000,my husband stops me. He says look..it's a sweet potato. It even has a label on it(Zoete Aardappel = Sweet Earthapple..potatoes are called Earthapples over here:). I looked..my eyes got big and I snapped it up. I was still a bit worried since they could of gotten it wrong. When I came home I opened it up.
  I snapped a photo of them and then sliced it open....
Aahhh..it was orange..and it was beautiful. I'm pretty sure I skipped around the room a few times..and then I got greedy. There was no way I was going to share these. They were small..just enough for me..noone would love them like I did. I decided to just mash them up with some butter and brown sugar to eat along with my dinner...and then my youngest gave me puppy dog eyes because he too remembers loving them..and then my husband said..well I might like them too. He was a bit taken back with the color of it and how much it reminded him of baby food and what the baby pushed out after eating it..but he was in too.

So I shared...It was soooooo good. I love love LOVE sweet potato's. Im going to hunt online to see if I can grow them myself with using a regular sweet potato. They don't sell those here on a regular basis and Im wondering if I can grow them myself? So my Communal Global friends who are stopping by from Tuesday's Around the World..What does your "Today" look like? I would love it if my regular blogger friends would share a bit of their today aswell(Everyone can join in on the Tuesday's Around the World)..pleassseee!! Link up and let us know!  
                                                          

29 comments:

Buckeroomama said...

I love sweet potatoes, too! Over here, sometimes there are street vendors who sell them freshly "steamed" (?) with the skin still on and you can peel the skin off with your hands. It's very yummy!

Lizzy said...

Haha, I love how you weren't even going to share them! That cracked me up. I love sweet potatoes too. I'd be seriously disappointed if I couldn't have them on Thanksgiving! If you can't grow them, you should go back to the store to buy a bunch to freeze!

Sonya said...

Wait...I can freeze these? seriously? Im so going back to the store...

Lisa said...

Love your new layout! Love that you found something you love from home and strangely enough I love that picture where you had sliced open the potato! :) It's awesome!

Sonya said...

Thanks Lisa..I am slowly doing an overhaul on my blog. It's amazing how many things you can add onto one now..lol

I too loved the sliced picture..lol

Breigh said...

I'm sure I've seen those at AH. I've never had them though so I just saw them and moved on.

Sonya said...

They do sell them at AH..just not at mine..lol

May said...

A pleasant surprise with the new look!! miss the cupcakes though..:( (I can see you laughing!!). OK, here's a secret! I HATE sweet potatoes, do not know why?? But, I can understand what it means not to get your favourite food here. I have a list of what i do not get, and if I do find it, I would be doing summersalts!!

oranjeflamingo said...

Love the new look to the blog!

I've been in the mood for sweet potatoes recently, too. Our AH never carries them, but Plus and Super de Boer do sometimes.

Lizzy said...

P.S. I love the new background! I just changed mine yesterday too :-)

lytha said...

great post! i want one! i bet they'd be good on the bbq...

Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) said...

Luckily you found this sweet potato, I can easily find sweet potato in where i stay, and usually I try to cook sweet potato soup.

Follygirl said...

Unfortunately, I have never eaten sweet potatoes. You can buy them here in Germany but... I have no recipe for it?
Can you help me?

Liebe Grüße, Petra

Frau said...

Love them.....I'm a sweet potato kind of girl.

Cassie said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you found them, they must have tasted amazing after so long! I'm always forgetting how different it is for you over there and how many things you don't have that we take for granted.

And I love that they're called "earth apples." How cool is that?! :)

Ashley Sisk said...

I love sweet potatoes - yummy. Just add some cinnamon sugar to it!

Don said...

Baked sweetpototes are good but the best way to eat them is to thin slice them about 1/8" thick, then make a batter or buy a Tempura Batter mix and deep fry them until they are golden brown, mix equal parts of soy sauce and water for dipping. Eat with rice and your favorite main dish and they are great! Just a suggestion for those that like Oriental dishes

Don said...

Baked sweetpototes are good but the best way to eat them is to thin slice them about 1/8" thick, then make a batter or buy a Tempura Batter mix and deep fry them until they are golden brown, mix equal parts of soy sauce and water for dipping. Eat with rice and your favorite main dish and they are great! Just a suggestion for those that like Oriental dishes

Aledys Ver said...

I love sweet potatoes too! They're part of our diet in South America as well. Here I normally find them in the market on market day in the city centre and both AH and C1000 sometimes have them too.
Unfortunately for me, my husband doesn't like them.
Have you ever tried making jam from them? We (in Arg) do, and then for example, we fill some puff pastry with it, deep fry it and dip the pastry in some honey before ... yammmmmmmmmm! :o)

Sonya said...

You can make jam with them!? WOW..I've never had that..and sticking it inside a pastry and deep frying..my oh my..I can see I will need to be making some like that!

Linda www.mykindofcooking.com said...

What a good person you are to share this treasure with your family!

Rebecca said...

I'm assuming that 'land van her...' is basically grown in or shipped from the United States? Funny story, most of the produce that I purchase is from other countries...

Sonya said...

Rebecca that part means Country of Origin :)

Laurie said...

I loved this post. And I love sweet potatoes. I recall the day I found grits in Tegucigalpa. I was gritless for three long years. It was a day of joy. And butter, salt and grits.

Lee Ann said...

Yay for sweet potatoes!! I always forget about the communal global Tuesday until after Tuesday has already happened lol I do have one from yesterday that k may add though xx

☼¨`*•.♥Rocío♥.•*¨`☼ said...

Oh Yummy!!! My Dad loves to make Sweet Potatoe! We call it "Camote"

Katy ~ said...

I'd miss sweet potatoes too if I didn't have them. So glad you found them and were able to enjoy them again!

Stacey said...

Hi Sonya, I'm an American living in Enschede too! Well, actually half American (mom), and half Dutch (dad).
In Enschede, we buy sweet potatoes all the time at a little "toko" around the corner from our house. It's a Turkish store, in the South of Enschede on the "Boswinkel / c1000" shopping area (around the corner from the drugstore). A really nice guy there sells wonderful, big sweet potatoes, banana (and hot!) peppers, and HUGE sweet watermelons when it's the season! Great to run into a local fellow foodie online! Keep up the great blog! Take care, Stacey

Sonya said...

Hi Stacey! I know the store u are talking about..I go to the C1000 there all the time..will check out that Toko:)

So happy to meet you!