Friday, June 4, 2010

Hup,Holland,Hup!

The World Championship Soccer games start next week in South Africa. The Dutch team is of course going. I have noticed that nothing can bring out the dutch enthusiasm like their pride for our soccer team. Two days ago I got a quiet knock on the door. I took my son with me incase I couldn't figure out what they were asking me in dutch. The woman said she lived 4 doors down and all the neighbors were getting together to decorate our yards to support the team. I needed to chip in 2 euros and they would come over and hang up the flags all over.
  I said of course we would love to join in. There are certain times when it's really important to join in,even if you wouldn't normally do it yourself. This was one of those times. They all watched me for my reaction and when I said yes of course,their eyes brightened up and it was the first time they gave me a huge smile. I quickly went out and mowed the lawn and got ready.
I have to say that this was the first time all my neighbors came out to help one another. There was plenty of smiles,hellos,laughter,and pats on the back. I loved it. It felt like for the first time in 3 years we were all neighbors. I always had that feeling back home, but never here. 
  I spoke what dutch I could and they spoke what english they knew. I had to laugh because I knew typical dutch phrases and they knew the typical english phrases.
  It took them hours to finish. Last night they came again at around 10pm to tie orange balloons everywhere. Orange is the Dutch teams color and is derived from the last name of Dutch Royalty. The lion represents the logo on the Dutch coat of arms.
                                                                                                                 It was a great day. We will be cheering on the Dutch team. Hup Holland Hup!! wich means Go Holland Go!          

10 comments:

Aledys Ver said...

Your street looks very cheerful now! I wouldn't normally do this myself, not even back home (and I come from a country where football is equal to religion in status) but if they asked me here, I would also join in! (I'm not so sure my Dutch husband would, though hehe).
Hup, Nederland, Hup! :o)

Sonya said...

My husband cringed a bit when he came home and saw it..lol However he also knew that it was important to join in like this. It's a bumer to always be on the outside of things and was nice to be included this time around:)

Life with Kaishon said...

I love it Sonya! What fun. Those flags are fantastic. Yay for your team. And yay for soccer in general : )

Rebecca said...

That looks like a very fun and festive atmosphere!

Katy ~ said...

Sonya, what fun! I would have joined in, too. I'm sure your neighbors, now seeing that you have joined in on this bit of national pride and spirit, will be much more friendly.

Ocean Girl said...

Ooh the heat is on. I have not picked my favorite yet.

Mel said...

wow...what a cool event and I bet it was great to feel like a "real" neighbourhood....
well Paul is already going footie mad and the kids always tease him and say germany is gonna win ;)

Lisa said...

What a great moment. I think it's great that you joined in---but then again I'm a crazy football fan myself and have only become more of one since moving abroad! Cool that you got to connect with your neighbors like that. :D

Mrs4444 said...

That's fun, and it reminds me of Packers Fever that hits our area during football season. Everyone wearing green and gold is your friend :)

Buckeroomama said...

I always love the orange Dutch colors... so happy! :)