Monday, June 14, 2010

Bourbon Chicken

World Cup fever has taken over our house! The Netherlands is just about to play so I figured I would come on here and get this posted right away. My poor husband wasn't able to get off of work early to watch the game so I told him I would watch it for him..lol They actually have a tv set up at work for it but he has a meeting. My kids will be watching the game at school..this is how crazy it can get here when the Dutch play:)

I made a new chicken recipe on saturday and we all loved it. I go through periods where I will make a bunch of new recipes and then I take a break to make everyone's favorites again. I found this recipe over at My Kitchen Cafe and it was a real winner with us. It's slightly spicey due to the dried pepper flakes in it..but my 10 year old ate it without mentioning anything and thats saying alot. He can really detect onions,and peppers in a meal and anything with a kick in it and he is downing the water and telling me he's full. I'll be posting a few more new recipes this week so stay tuned.  Thanks to My Kitchen Cafe for a winner of a recipe!


Bourbon Chicken...serves 4
2 lb Boneless,skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
4 TBL Oil..For Frying
Cornstarch for dusting the chicken with..optional only


Sauce:
1 Garlic Clove, Minced
1/4 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 cup Apple Juice
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
2 TBL Ketchup
1 TBL Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Water
1/3 cup Soy Sauce

Dust chicken pieces with cornstarch. Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan and fry chicken in batches until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and set aside.

In a bowl combine the sauce ingredients. Pour into wok or pan and bring to a boil. Add chicken pieces,reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Serve with white rice or fried rice.

I'm off to watch The Netherlands play..Hup Holland Hup!!!