Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Soft Homemade Tortillas

This is going to be a quick post. I've been up since 5am this morning. We headed out to the famous Keukenhof. It's a huge Dutch flower garden with alot of the focus on tulips. We needed to leave early to beat the crowds. I'll be showing all the beautiful photos I took very soon! I'm really tired so lets talk tortillas!

I've made tortillas before and really loved that recipe. I wasn't really in the market to try a new one. That changed though when I came upon this recipe. I was really interested in it because it called for milk and not water. Like my other recipe, the trick to this one is still rolling the poo out of it. Thats the biggest downfall to making your own. It's a real pain to roll it out as thin as you need it to be. However once you try these you will understand why the effort is sooo worth it! These came out much softer than my other recipe and I already thought those were soft. What I loved most is that this recipe produced thicker torillas. I'm going to double the recipe next time though to make larger ones. The 8 inch isn't bad but I prefer slightly bigger ones (oh man did I just leave myself open for some jokes here?lol) Either way, get ready to roll up your leaves and get a work out when rolling these babies out! Thanks Home Cooking in Montana for the wonderful recipe!

Soft Tortillas..makes 8
2 cups Flour..can use whole wheat aswell
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Vegetable Oil(I used 1 tablespoon)
3/4 cup Warm Milk


Mix together the flower, baking powder,salt, and oil. Slowly add the warm milk. Stir until a loose,sticky ball is forned. Knead for 2 minutes on a floured sirface. Dough should be firm and soft. Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.


Break off dough into 8 pieces; roll them into balls in your hands. Place onto plate or counter top..making sure they don't touch. Cover with damp towel or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. It's very important that you allow the dough to rest or it won't roll out like you want it to. 


After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball onto lighly floured surface, pat out into a 4 inch circle, then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it's thin and about 8 inches in diameter..it's not always easy and sometimes you need to really roll the poo out of it. Do not overwork the dough or it will become stiff. Keep rolled out tortillas covered until ready to cook.


In a dry skillet heated on high, cook the tortillas about 30 seconds on each side. It should start to puff up and turn whiter when it's done. Keep tortillas covered until ready to eat.