Saturday, May 15, 2010

Quick Asian Chicken and Rice

Wow I'm finally posting a recipe!! I've been a bit busy and a bit down. The weather has been awful. I'm hoping these grey rainy days are going to be behind us soon. My oldest son had his first sleep over. I realise how small these dutch homes are when you add another person into the mix. To make matters worse he developed a 104 temp out of nowhere that night. I felt bad for his friend and thankfully our youngest son kept him entertained until the next morning. We advised him to head home as soon as possible to avoid getting ill himself. I'm sure my son will be asking for another sleep over soon to make up for this one:)
                                     
Lastnight I tried a new asian chicken dish. It was pretty easy, quick and tasted really good. I pretty much try as many asian recipes as I can since we all love it so much. This recipe alone was not enough to feed my family of 4. If you have smaller children then you will be ok. To make it stretch farther, I added in mushrooms and peppers into the mix. I think it would of been a bit boring with just the chicken so feel free to toss in maybe some bean sprouts,broccoli, or whatever you like. I also doubled parts of the sauce because I knew it wouldn't be enough. I will include what I doubled. The sauce has a kick to it with the crushed red pepper so if you are sensitive to that,by all means lower the quanity! This was my first time using the chinese five-spice powder. It lends a fairly strong flavor and a unique one. I liked it but can really tell that if you use to much of it, it can really over power your meal.


Asian Chicken and Rice..feeds 4
1/3 cup Warm Water (I used 2/3cup)
1/4 cup Pakced Brown Sugar
2 TBl Orange Juice (I used 4)
2 TBl Soy Sauce
2 TBL Ketchup (I used4)
1 TBL White Vinegar (I used2)
4 Cloves Garlic..left out
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Chinese Five-Spice powder
1 tsp. Grated Orange Peel..left out
2 TBl Oil
1-1/2 pounds boneless Chicken Breasts; cubed (I used 4)
Hot Cooked Rice


2 tsp. Cornstarch (I used3)
2 TBL Cold Water


In a bowl, stir together warm water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce,ketchup, white vinegar,garlic,red pepper flakes, five-spice powder, and orange peel until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is well combined.


Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the chicken until the outside is golden brown and the inside is no longer pink. If you are adding in other ingredients like bean sprouts,mushrooms,peppers,etc go ahead and add it in while cooking the chicken. Pour sauce mixture over the chicken, bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low, and cover the skillet. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. ** I did not wait the 30 minutes. I think I waited maybe 15. I noticed my sauce was getting thinner and went ahead and added in the cornstarch**


Whisk the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water in a small bowl until smooth, and stir into the chicken and sauce, a few teaspoons at a time. Let and chicken and sauce cook for 2 minutes to thicken, then serve over hot cooked rice.