Monday, May 10, 2010

Nigella's Buttermilk Cake

I had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday. My oldest son bought me a beautiful begonia plant and card. My youngest made me a card and had written on the inside what he liked about me; cooking,hugs,ice creams in the summer, and that he thought of me often:) I love these cards and drawings and look back at them from year to year. My two boys are growing up! I was showered with lots of gifts and felt very much loved.

I wanted to make the day special by baking a cake. In truth I am not a cake person. I don't mind it but I can also go years without it. Since moving here our sweetness level has changed. We can no longer stand the super sweet cream cheese frostings or the ones made from shortening. It amazes me how much our tastes have changed since moving here.
 I still have problems with Nigella's recipes. I love to watch her cook but often her recipes do not carry over well for me. This cake was good but not great. I tend to lean towards more moist cakes and this one was a little to dry for my taste. I noticed that alot with her cakes. I guess maybe it's the way they like it there. Instead of using her ganache frosting, I went with a brown butter icing wich we liked more.
   My frosting skills leave much to be desired but I've never really worried about my frosting skills..we prefer the slap it on and eat it method:)

Buttermilk Cake
1-2/3 cup Flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 cup plus 2 TBL Buttermilk
1-1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 cup Butter; Softened
3/4 cup Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 9 inch square pan or 2 8-or 9 inch round cake pans,lined with parchment paper and greased.

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Sift flour,baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a bowl and set aside.

Pour the buttermilk into a small bowl and stir in the vanilla. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed and add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each one. Add in flour and buttermilk,alternating between the two,beating well after each addition..this should take 3-5 minutes.

Pour into pans and bake 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. I used 8 inch pans and 30 minutes was good. Cool pans on wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding to let cool completely. Frost when cooled.

Brown Butter Frosting1/2 cup Butter
4 cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
2 TBl Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla

In a small saucepan melt the butter over low heat. Continue heating til butter turns a delicate brown. Remove from heat,pour into small mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar,milk, and vanilla. Beat with an electrix mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium to high speed, adding additional milk,if necessary, to reach spreading consistency. Makes enough to frost top and sides of an 8 inch or 9 inch cake.