Monday, May 24, 2010

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

I'm soooo happy! I have been making homemade ice cream for almost a year now. I've been trying all kinds of recipes with some turning out pretty good, and other's not really worthy of a repeat. I am here to say that this one is a total keeper! Wow was I impressed! It's the first time that my 3 guys and I agreed that if someone served this to us we would of thought it came from the store. Before there has always been slight difference both in the texture and the taste that let us know it wasn't all the way there yet. Well it's all the way there and them some :)
 I do need some advice though for mint ice cream makers. I went ahead and used peppermint in this recipe because all the recipes call for this(if u want a true mint flavor I guess using peppermint is more acurate to the mint taste and it was spot on with the flavor). They don't sell peppermint over here and I'm out. I used the full 1-1/2 tsp. of peppermint and it was slighty to much. All I have left now is Mint and I'm hoping someone can tell me if it's worth trying to use it or should I beg someone back home to send me a few more bottles of the peppermint? I know you can also make it from steeping fresh mint leaves but I would need to hunt for those aswell. So any advice at all would be very helpful:) Mint ice cream is my favorite so if by using mint is going to change the flavor to much then I would like to know that aswell. Thank you so much Kitchen Addiction for the BEST mint ice cream recipe. I will be making this again with chopped up mint pieces and maybe some crushed oreo's aswell!

Mint Ice Cream..1 Gallon
2 cups Heavy Cream
1-1/2 cups Whole Milk..I used 2%
3/4 cup Sugar
4 Egg Yolks
1 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 tsp. Mint Extract (I switched over to peppermint but I think I should of only added in maybe a teaspoons worth)
Few drops of green food coloring; Optional
3 ounces good quality Bittersweet Chocolate: Finley chopped or shaved.

Bring Cream and milk to a simmer in a heavy bottom saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally, and do not allow to boil. Meanwhile, use a hand mixer to beat the sugar and egg yolks until thick,and lightens in color.

While the mixer is still on,add 1 cup of the hot milk and cream to the eggs to temper them. Add it in slowly so you don't end up with a scrambled egg mixture. Once you have mixed it all in,add the egg mixture back into the saucepan, and continue to cook until thickened and the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the extracts and food coloring. Transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Be sure to press the plastic wrap down the surface of the custard to prevent a skin on top. Refrigerate over night or atleast until the mixture is chilled.

Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufactorer's instructions. In the last few minutes of processing the ice cream, add in the finely chopped chocolate to the ice cream. Transfer to airtight container and freeze until firm.   

On a side not if you are worried about egg pieces being in the cream mixture, you can use a fine mesh strainer and pour the  cream through that and into a bowl after you have cooked it the 2nd time. I almost always do that incase I have missed something.