Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mini Pavlovas!

 I made mini pavlovas and they were sooooo good! What I'm really happy about it, is how darn easy they were to make! I've always been shy of merginues but not anymore.
 The important step is making sure there are no yolks when you place the egg whites in the bowl. I've learned the hard way that even the smallest amount can ruin a recipe. I also learned that leaving the whites at room temp for about 30 minutes really helps aswell. These suckers bake up BIG..much bigger than I realised. I don't have a large oven here and only have one oven rack, so I used a jelly roll pan. Well I didn't realise that they expand..and not by just a little either. So when I took them out they were all touching but that honestly was not a problem. I was able to gently break them apart(If you have two oven racks and an american type oven then by all means use two sheets and you wont run into the same problem as I did).
             
The shells are crispy on the outside and candy like gooey on the inside. You can get creative with your shells aswell. You can pipe them onto the sheet in a nice swirly design or just plop them on like I did. Next time I will build my sides up better to get a better indention for the filling. The filling can be anything you want. I went with homemade whipping cream and topped it off with strawberries and banana's. You can do a lemon curd topped with berries or maybe some ice cream. Please try this..it makes a fantastic dessert and everyone will think you went to alot of trouble to make these and praise you like crazy:)
 Communal Global wants to know what your "Today" looks like. Every tuesday we want you to link up with us and show us your Today. So this is my today..beautiful mini pavlovas! Link up with me below!

Mini Pavlovas..Makes 8
3 Egg Whites
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
Dash Salt
1 cup Sugar
 Allow egg whites to stand in a large mixing bowl for 30 minutes. Add the vanilla,cream of tartar, and salt to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed till soft peaks form(tips of the egg whites curl). Add the sugar one tablespoon full at a time,beating about 7 minutes on High speed till stiff peaks form(tips stand up straight) and sugar is almost dissolved.


Pre heat oven to 300 or 150 celcius. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Draw 8 3 inch circles ontop paper. Using either a pastry bag to pipe the meringues on there or use a spoon to plop the mixture down..Making sure to use the back of the spoon to smooth the meringue onto the circle and building the sides up to form shells. You want it to look like a nest.
   Bake in the oven for 35 minutes. Turn off oven. Allow shells to dry in the oven for 1 hour without opening the oven door up. Remove from paper and top with your choice of ingredients. Store shells in airtight container for a few days. The longer you let them sit the more crumbly they will become. These are best eaten the same day you make them.