Monday, May 17, 2010

Hawaiian Meatballs

I've been on a sweet and sour kick lately. I go through periods where I crave that flavor combo and then I'm good for awhile. I found this recipe over at allrecipes. I had alot of ground beef and was getting tired of the usual recipes. This was sooooo fantastic! the meatballs alone are worthy of making again without the sauce. The recipe is called sweet and sour meatballs but in truth it was less sweet and sour than we had expected. Thats ok though because the sauce was really great!

The reviews said the sauce wasn't enough to cover all the meatballs..and there is ALOT of meatballs. I lost count once I went over 50. So if you don't want left overs, I would cut the meatball recipe in half but keep the sauce amounts the same. If you make the full recipe wich by the way would be also great as an appetizer aswell as a main course, I would double certain parts of the sauce. I will list what I doubled in the recipe. If you are a vegetarian(This ones for you, Lizzy:o) you could use a meatless version of meatballs and I bet it would still taste great.

Hawaiian Meatballs..Serves atleast 8 as a main dish
Meatballs:
2 lbs Ground Beef
2 Eggs
1 cup Dried Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup Finely Chopped Onion
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Seasoning Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Pepper
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp. Sugar

Sauce:
1 (20ounce)can Pineapple chunks,drained with juice reserved(I used a total of 2 cups of pineapple juice)
1/3 cup Water (I used 2/3 cup) 
3 TBL White Vinegar
1 TBL Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Brown Sugar Packed
3 TBL Cornstarch
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/2 tsp. Seasoning Salt
1 Large Carrot,diced; Optional
1 Large Green Bell Pepper,cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 cup Sliced Mushrooms;Optional
Cooked Rice


Preheat oven to 400 degrees or 200 celcius. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet or shallow pan(if not using lean ground beef,make sure the pan has sides to catch the grease). In a large bowl mix the ground beef,eggs,bread crumbs, and onion. Sprinkle with giner,seasoning salt,pepper,worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Shape into 1 inch balls.

Place meatballs in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes; Set aside..I went ahead and cooked my meatballs all the way through.


To make the sauce, mix enough water with the reserved pineapple juice to make 1 cup. In a large pot over medium heat, combine the juice,1/3 cup water,vinegar,soy sauce,and brown sugar. Stir in cornstarch, ginger and seasoning salt, until smooth. Cover and cook until thickened.


Stir pineapple chunks,carrot,green bell pepper and meatballs into the sauce. Gently stir to coat the meatballs with the sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until meatballs are thoroughly cooked. Serve over hot rice.


After reading the reviews, I went ahead and cooked my meatballs all the way through to avoid them falling apart in the sauce. I also used a a big Wok and sauteed my bell pepper and mushrooms together. I then added the meatballs and sauce and gently cooked it for about 10 minutes.